Feed lots and feed bunks

Help Support CattleToday:

cross_7

Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures of your feed lots and feed bunks
I'm looking for ideas, maybe something like this

When we used that type I added a back board so they couldn;t push the stuff so far away that they couldn;t reach it

I took mine up not to long ago, so I don't have a picture. A mine belt laid down two large pine trees laid side by side makes an inexpensive feed bunk. Needs to be on an incline so water doesn't stand in it. I tried shooting holes in the bottom of it, but it still held water. I attached the belt to the pines with some big lag screws, and square washers I scored from the local utility company. That's an inexpensive way. I have never had commercial made bunks.

I like that idea bigfoot instead of buying the plastic on metal from tractor supply. How hard is it to get the belts?

Can build cheap bunks from 55 gal plastic barrels cut in half lengthwise. Bolt the sections end to end. Use wood screws to attach a string of barrel sections to a 2x4. Pretty cheap and easy to build and quite durable. Need to use treated lumber so will not rot out and use stainless or ceramic coated screws as the treated wood will rust out regular screws in just a few years.

Craig Miller":3mt07sh9 said:
I like that idea bigfoot instead of buying the plastic on metal from tractor supply. How hard is it to get the belts?

Around here not to hard to find. They are on craiglist quit often. I stole the idea from a gentleman one county over. I wish I had thought of it. It is also excellent to put up in a catching pen.

Something like this wouldn't require pouring concrete and wouldn't be permanent and could be moved around if need be
But their in WI not in my area

I make mine like TX Papaw said - free plastic barrels split lengthwise, fastened to two treated 2x4s with sheetmetal roofing screws. Work like a charm and have outlasted by 2 or 3 times those plastic ones with the metal frame from TSC that we started out with. Bull won't put a foot through 'em when he steps in there, either.

When we bought this place, it had been a dairy, they used 18 inch plastic pipe cut lwngthwise for all of the feeders. The plastic in them is a half inch thick and really tough. They had just lag bolted them to the parlor walls. I used a chunk of one for a front blade on the tractor for snow, dirt, gravel.

A bunch of years ago I made a couple of the split plastic barrel type. Cut lengthwise, bolted together etc. Within a month they had them all busted up into pieces! The plastic barrels hung, used for mineral work great though. I built 2 wooden ones from old shipping crates, added some plywood for the "floor". Those have held up beautifully. I also bought (used) one of those long, one-piece heavy duty plastic ones at a farm auction for $30.00. That too has held up really well.

Katherine

workinonit,
I've made some out of the white plastic barrels - they break down pretty fast; guess UV light degrades 'em. Got less than a year out of 'em.
Blue and black ones have been going strong for 7+ years now...

Here is one I made earlier. It did not take that much to knock up and the steel was not that expensive. I am going to knock up another couple before I wean my calves at the end of March. I fed the bulls out of it last winter and proved to be durable.

Ken

Latest posts