feed hay on the ground or in feeders?

Help Support CattleToday:

If your gunna give the calves bedding unroll a few bales of straw with the tractor. Just clear a spot in the dirt with the loader and then unroll them they will last quite a while because after the herd find them and all bed down on them they won't eat them too much.

Thanks, yep we always have straw for the calves. I'm gonna skip the rings for now, I guess the way we do things now has worked for Dad for many years. I just thought I'd get some more opinions on the matter. You guys/gals have been great and I appreciate all you comments. Well better go check the cows again! :D

it dont matter how much hay you put out,if the cows can walk in it,pee in it,dodo in it, 50 % is wasted !~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Tc

Something we use in East Texas works pretty well and I like it a whole lot better than rings. We use log skider or large tractor tires, first there free, they will hold a 4x4 or 4x5 round bale. My neighbor and I get the tires from the local tire dealer free ,saves him from paying disposal fee. After hay season they stack, dont rust from the enviroment they have to sit in.The cows will come up and step on the tire, they get right off I guess they don't like the way it feels . After two or three seasons the side walls start to break down, then we use them for filling in wash outs, gulleys and sloughs and backfillig with top soil. The tires hole the dirt extremely well and help us control erosion.

Link does work for me, but you have to be a Yahoo member to get in. Sorry about that! :oops:

For what it's worth, we use both rings and rolling in our program.
We like to unroll when the ground is firm or frozen, as it allows all the cows a chance to eat at the same time (and we find that the waste really isn't that much, as we make them clean it up between feedings).
But in the spring time, the ground in the pens and pastures turns into a real morass, so we feed in the rings then.
I've never gone out and raked up what is trampled by feeding in either ring or roll out, but I truly feel it's got to be about equal up here (the cows always seem to knock about a one and a half foot circumference and trample about a foot of it into the muck of hay onto the ground from the ring feeders...and would love to invest in the new kind with the solid material around the bottom, but unless we get stellar prices here this fall, it's just not an option).
Anyway, everybody has their own preferences. Just thought I'd share ours.
Take care.

We like to unroll the hay, more work & time but even the more timid cows & ones with the new calves get to eat. Over the course of the winter we'll cover the whole pasture from end to end. We'll drag now to bust up the cow piles and spread things around. The rings are nice but during wet weather the cows pushing and shoving really tear the ground up, even moving them every day.

;-)

Check out this round bale unroller on wheels that can be pulled behing a pickup, small tractor, or forecart. Its great for transporting bales on the hiway also. You can unroll as little as you like or the entire bale. Its safer on the hiway because you can see around the bale and people behind you can see your tail-lights.http://www.geocities.com/quik_roll/QuikRollHomepage.html

He needs to go to feeding small sqare bales so he quits losing cattle. I think I'd be half scared to feed big bales if I'd lost that many animals to them. But I'm sure he's exagerating also.

Latest posts