Feed Efficiency

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's an article on feed efficiency and how it affects overall profitability of those that retain ownership of cattle.

How many people use feed efficiency EPDs as a selection tool when deciding which bulls to use?
Thanks for that article. Yes, I've started using feed efficiency data in my selection for Angus AI sires. I would love to have a GrowSafe system for measuring my herd's feed efficiency but that's not in the cards. I will say we added some fairly inexpensive scales to our operation a couple years ago and it has changed how I think about my cow herd. Don't judge a cow by it's external appearance nor by it's frame size and mature weight.

Thanks for that article. Yes, I've started using feed efficiency data in my selection for Angus AI sires. I would love to have a GrowSafe system for measuring my herd's feed efficiency but that's not in the cards. I will say we added some fairly inexpensive scales to our operation a couple years ago and it has changed how I think about my cow herd. Don't judge a cow by it's external appearance nor by it's frame size and mature weight.
Having your own scale is a real eye-opener. We put one under our squeeze chute and wow, did we learn a lot.

Having your own scale is a real eye-opener. We put one under our squeeze chute and wow, did we learn a lot.
I have an inexpensive scale and some things that it taught me;
1. Some of your cows are heavier than you think they are
2. Some of you cows are not producing as much calf weight as they should (weaning weight ratio)
3. Some calves simply don't grow as fast as others within their contemporary group and under the same feed resources and management

As a result I'm working to improve genetics and culling under performers.
Feed efficiency is also on my list but I'm not sure that I know exactly what to look for in the EPDs because I'm not sure how RADG, DMI and $F come together.

Please explain what you mean by this statement, I have my own idea but I don't want to put my thoughts in place of yours?
You said it in your next reply -- judging weight by visual appearance can be flawed. And honestly, very flawed. I'm better at judging cows. But weaned calves and yearlings can really hide their weight.

Also, I have some 6+ frame cows that are tall, but weigh less than some "moderate" cows.

But scales really exposed weaning ratios. Scales also really show how animals "finish."

I've mentioned it in other posts - I have some VERY moderate framed cows - - - - that weigh 1800#. I have scales and weigh everytime calves or cows go thru the chute. Have had scales for maybe 35-40 years. Wouldn't run an operation without. Measuring feed efficiency is tough without locked feed for individual feeders. Some cattle/calves simply have a poor appetite and some are gorgers. You see it more when you are hand feeding show cattle. You love the calves that gobble up their feed and looking for more. Some take forever to finish. If fed in groups, they definitely would not eat as much as the others.

Ran a couple Wulf influenced Limi bulls with average Angus steers on pasture one fall. Limi ADG was much higher with the Limis grazing the pasture for the same amount of time. So they were more probably more feedlot "efficient".

But, half of their Limflex heifers were thick 1600# sub fertile train wrecks. The other half apparently got more angus genes. So is feedlot "efficiency" bad for cow maker bulls? Be careful what feedlot trait you wish for unless you are a 100% terminal operation.

Last edited:
I am currently selecting for easy fleshing on forage, so I think I am selecting against feedlot feed efficiency.
This is an interesting idea to me, is there any correlation between feedlot efficiency and forage efficiency? I would think that an efficient animal is efficient regardless of the feed, forage or grain. Are there any studies about this? Why do we have to choose,why can't we have both.

I don't retain ownership. I don't own a feedlot. I don't get paid for feedlot efficiency. I am flipping the cow herd during a drought and want extremely fertile easy keeping females. Limi can not do that. Lots of growth and lots of muscle and slow to mature = big lean females with lower breed back.

Easy fleshing means they are putting on some fat, not all lean muscle. Easy fleshing means you get better breed back. Easy fleshing is not the same as forage efficiency. So we are back to the maternal vs. terminal trade offs. You can not have everything.

Last edited:
Limousine has never been a fertile, early maturing breed. You need to go back to Simmental. The modern Simmental is a lot more modern size and lower milk production. There are a lot of "types" of Simmental to pick from. With an open book, the breed has been developed to fit an environment. Simmental has always been early maturing - the earliest Continental and earlier than Herefords. Limii bulls always had a hard time passing the NY bull test because they couldn't make the minimum 32cm SC. SC is an indication of daughters sexual maturity.

This is an interesting idea to me, is there any correlation between feedlot efficiency and forage efficiency? I would think that an efficient animal is efficient regardless of the feed, forage or grain. Are there any studies about this? Why do we have to choose,why can't we have both.
Jr he will do what he can with what he has to work with. You can't feed junk and expect exceptional results.

Feed efficiency comes with traits. You will see less volume in the cattle to make them efficient on feed. That hurts on forages. Dr. Robert Long did work years ago at CSU and you can likely find some of his work via internet or in old AJs.

You cannot change them without changing them.

Latest posts