Feed amount for small squares?

Help Support CattleToday:

coalburner

Reaction score
I was thinking about feeding some small squares of alfalfa to my cattle this winter?? Could ya'll give me some idea of amount I need to feed?? Dry cows at one pasture that should calve in February and 3 year olds with calves at another, all are brangus around 1200 and up on weight. Thanks for any information.

coalburner":2exky3mb said:
I was thinking about feeding some small squares of alfalfa to my cattle this winter?? Could ya'll give me some idea of amount I need to feed?? Dry cows at one pasture that should calve in February and 3 year olds with calves at another, all are brangus around 1200 and up on weight. Thanks for any information.
Will the alfalfa be all they will be getting or will you use it in conjunction with grass hay?? If so have you had the grass hay tested to see if you even need to supplement with the alfalfa??

We fed squares as kid, a rule of thumb for us was a half a bale per cow per day. In other words, if you had 20 cows, you put out 5 in the morning, and 5 in the evening. Looking back on it, that was kinda haphazard. Must have worked they all made it to spring. I have considered doing it in recent history, my herd size makes it undesirable though.

Was thinking about using the alfalfa along with regular grass hay? I haven't checked protein on grass hay, but pretty sure it's not too high.

Latest posts