Favorite time of year

Help Support CattleToday:

Great looking pasture.
In the first photo that dry looking tuft of grass in the middle foreground, do you know what that is? It resembles a very invasive unpalatable grass that thrives on dry acid sandy soil that we have here called African Lovegrass.
Ken

wbvs58":ag58lcd6 said:
Great looking pasture.
In the first photo that dry looking tuft of grass in the middle foreground, do you know what that is? It resembles a very invasive unpalatable grass that thrives on dry acid sandy soil that we have here called African Lovegrass.
Ken

Yes sir, that is Lovegrass. And you describe our soil perfectly. We can grow 2 things well- Lovegrass and Rye. You don't sound like a fan? :lol:

I'm not a big fan either, as the palatability/protein content isn't good. But to paraphrase I believe Jogeephus that once or twice said on here to make the best use of your local advantage, I think we've been able to use it to our advantage some in our rotation. It is at least filler (tons per acre) and we use it as such during the winter on a few places, run mama cows in and out of rye pasture back to lovegrass a few times a week for protein and then filler. It stretches rye pasture and saves on having to buy protein. In the spring, it greens up and starts growing earlier than other grasses, so it helps to transition us into better summer pasture. That is about all of the good properties I can think of besides if you want to reseed it all you have to do is disc it- wait you covered that with invasive. :D

One other thing that I have noticed, they will devour 2 year old lovegrass hay. I assume it is because of a caramelization process or something? When offered the older bales, they will go through it before good quality bermuda, wheat, and sudan. It may have almost no nutrient value- I don't know. Never tested it and should just for curiosity of nothing else. Use it mostly for fiber for stocker calves on rye/wheat to slow motility a little.

Latest posts