Favorite Pie

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowherefords

Reaction score
Since this is the holiday season, what is your favorite pie? One of mine is a properly made buttermilk pie. Properly done, there is not a hint of sourness, but it is almost too sweet-but not quite. The wife made a couple properly for this Thanksgiving.

What isn't my favorite kind of pie would probably more accurate. This time of year, I like pumpkin pie the best. The only kinds of pie that I don't like would be mincemeat or raisin. Rhubarb is good in the spring. We eat alot of saskatoon and apple later in the fall. Mid winter, its more lemon merangue and cherry.
After that whole discussion awhile back on the best way to eat rattle snake, I'm expecting one of those Texans to come out and say they eat alligator or armadillo pie or some such thing. :roll:

MULDOON":4wgee5is said:
Well baked "Buttermilk Pie" That's how my wife caught me :lol: :lol:
My favorite is buttermilk pie!!!
Buttermilk is for cornbread.

Other than mince meat pie, there isn't a fruit, custard, or cream pie that I don't like so far. Impossible for me to pick a favorite.

DRB":yihwudfn said:
I've never heard of a buttermilk pie..Beside the obvious, how is it made ?

I dug out my wife's recipe.

1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter with sugar, flour, and salt. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Combine buttermilk and vanilla with creamed mixture. Pour into pie shell. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

I guess it is really sort of a custard type pie. This recipe is very sweet with no sourness at all. I had never heard of it until a few years ago, and I pestered my wife into trying it. It was an instant favorite. My brother in law tried it with great misgivings at Thanksgiving, and loved it.

The wife can sure make pies! She actually had me helping her mix up a pumpkin pie the night before Thanksgiving, and I snuck some peppermint flavor in it while her back was turned, just to see what it would be like. About half of 'em liked it, and half didn't. I thought it was OK. Don't think I'm a sissy just because I helped her in the kitchen now!

greenwillowherefords":x2oys1wr said:
Don't think I'm a sissy just because I helped her in the kitchen now!
Willow, my wife helps me in the pasture or the pens when I need help. And I don't think that makes her a man. I help her in the kitchen when she needs help. If you're a sissy, I guess that makes me a sissy, too. But that's just the kind of sissy I always wanted to be. I figure if I'm man enough to eat and make a mess, I can be man enough to cook and clean up!

Texan":1i4edt44 said:
greenwillowherefords":1i4edt44 said:
Don't think I'm a sissy just because I helped her in the kitchen now!
Willow, my wife helps me in the pasture or the pens when I need help. And I don't think that makes her a man. I help her in the kitchen when she needs help. If you're a sissy, I guess that makes me a sissy, too. But that's just the kind of sissy I always wanted to be. I figure if I'm man enough to eat and make a mess, I can be man enough to cook and clean up!

you two better watch it or ol' Caustic's gonna start flirtin' with you, too! :shock: :lol:

Latest posts