• Charolais

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aubrac

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hill Creek Farm

Reaction score
Dear Cattle Board friends,

Ok, what is your favorite breed of herd bull to breed your cattle too? Please choose from the following choices. Give me one reason before posting. Don't just vote and not give a reason. I am trying to build a didn't type of Commerical herd, other than what I have now, Hereford X Angus cattle. I have all Black Angus bulls right now.

In reading through your comments, am I understading you that you are changeing just for the sake of being different? While I don't necessarily condone doing something because everyone else is doing it idea either, I don't agree with change just for the sake of change either.

It all depends on what your goals are for your cowherd and how you plan to market your calf crop. The best cross in my country is still the Hereford Angus cross. Its leaves you a great cow and the steers are the most marketable of any cross out there.

There are a lot of ways to skin a cat in the beef industry. Some people can make money with some cattle that others have gone bankrupt with. My suggestion is to focus less on breeds and focus more on the end goal and then figure out the best way to get there with what works for your situation, based on finances, facilities, time constraints, labor, available markets, etc.

For instance if your neighbor has some of the best Gelbveih cattle in the country, maybe you should consider them, if you can buy them at a reasonable price. But, if you can buy other breeds of bulls of like quality that meet your end goals, they may be the best option, providieng you are produceing a product that is readily acceptable in your market. There are a lot of different types of cattle within each breed and your challenge is to find the ones that will work for you in your world, regardless of their color.

To me, there are so many variables in this business that getting hung up on one cross can be dangerous and certainly at times not the most profitable.

Happy hunting

Brian

Charolais!

No matter the type of cows (Angus, Hereford, Beefmaster, Longhorn, etc.) you may be using, cross them with a GOOD Charolais bull and you will produce a calf that will sell.

This is a tried and proven fact!

MountainFarmChar":3imj3oyc said:
Charolais!

No matter the type of cows (Angus, Hereford, Beefmaster, Longhorn, etc.) you may be using, cross them with a GOOD Charolais bull and you will produce a calf that will sell.

I am going to give them a shot on some good Black Angus cows.

MountainFarmChar":200k6db2 said:
Charolais!

Not around here! I'd say Hereford and Angus. Hill, Im REALLY surprised Hereford was not on your list. How many days ago was it you were in the Herf Business? Interesting.

Anyway...... Them black baldies are selling 200- 300 dollars a head more than the solid blacks around here at the sale barn, even as low as market is.

To let everyone know, I don't know why it didn't show up on the poll, but I am going to have some Blonde cattle in my herd also. I have purchased my first new change, 15 bred Blonde heifers. Also, I have purchased 2 really good Registered Limousin bulls and I am heading to a Black Angus sale on the 8th of December. Take care.

Hill can I borrow 3 million dollars? I am not being sarcastic, I love the fact that you like diversity. I do to... Heck I wish I had 10 head of just about every breed out there. Just wish I had your money though...

Kansas, that is a pretty big loan. I don't think I can swing $3 Million Dollars. I need my money to buy females and to get my commerical herd up and running by Christmas.

My question is, what are you not going to try? HCF stick with one thing and get good or great at it befor venturing out. Too much diversity may be one of your biggest problems. Just a freindly observation.

It would depend on the breed makeup of my females and on the strengths and weaknesses of those females.

I say stick with it... .I would love to be able to play around with a bunch of different breeds and see the results first hand.... I just dont have the money to do it... Keep it up...

What about Red Angus, a good way to avoid grey rat tails?? Also with red cows you can go black on your calves in a year if you want.

ilfarmer92":22gnna92 said:
Not around here! I'd say Hereford and Angus. Hill, Im REALLY surprised Hereford was not on your list. How many days ago was it you were in the Herf Business? Interesting.
Yep Matt, I was wanting to buy some Hereford bulls and now I see that you have junked them completely. I'm sure glad that I didn't jump in the partnership that you wanted tp form.

Now take your bottle and lay down for a little while.

la4angus":37dhxob3 said:
ilfarmer92":37dhxob3 said:
Yep Matt, I was wanting to buy some Hereford bulls and now I see that you have junked them completely. I'm sure glad that I didn't jump in the partnership that you wanted tp form.

Now take your bottle and lay down for a little while.

MAybe he needs to add some rice cereal. It helps my 7 weeks old sleep better.

memanpa":indxdb3c said:
this guy changes breeds more often than i change socks :D
You notice he has Aubracs listed. Last week at this time he had never heard of them and now they are his favorite breed. If it wasn't for them he would be lending MikeC and me some money right now.

Hill Creek Farm":3ffzbbhf said:
LA4Angus, I have done a lot of research and made a lot of calls about this breed. Well, I think that they would work well bred to a good Black Angus bull.

Where did you find research? Lloyd and I will give you much better of an education that any old aubrac can. Send the money!

MikeC":39wy62sv said:
Hill Creek Farm":39wy62sv said:
LA4Angus, I have done a lot of research and made a lot of calls about this breed. Well, I think that they would work well bred to a good Black Angus bull.

Where did you find research? Lloyd and I will give you much better of an education that any old aubrac can. Send the money!
MikeC., I like the information a little better than your alls word. Sorry!

Latest posts