Favorite gate latches

Help Support CattleToday:

jkeith

Reaction score
Everyone has fences and pens, so what is everyones favorite gate latch on fences and in pens?

The bolt on ones. Don't remember name you put one piece on gate, the other on post. No chains for working pens just slam them shut from either direction. Much safer with a rough one when sorting.

I made a bunch of deadbolt style latches, they work OK and it's much nicer than a rope you gotta tie (dealt with those for 20 years!).. On the gates I have to go through often and one side is out of reach of prying tongues, I have a piece of 3/8th chain that slides into a slot, works very nicely one-handed so you can carry hay, calves, etc and get in or out.

A chain welded to the post and inserted into a notch on a gate brace (everything is steel). Always pass the chain underneath the brace and then come up through it, that way when a cow is pushing on it she is always putting pressure on the chain making it even harder to accidently open it.

on tube gates with the slot I always wrap the chain under the bar and drop it in the slot with the end on the outside of where the animals are at. I have a jack ass that can unchain a gate. It the gate does not have the slot I nail a length of chain and grind a 5/16 lag bolt hex head down on 2 sides and the end loop will only go on when its held perpendicular to the 2 points remaining . I have a couple of slam latches I have built that work pretty good in the cow lot

A ranch the daughter worked on Montana a few years ago had a set of pens where latches that were an up side down L at a 45% angle. The long side ran through a pipe. The end fit into a slot to shut the gate. You could open or shut the gate on foot or horseback.

If you use Speedcos or other pall dropping latches where the gate has a bolt on extension to catch, be sure to but the bolt on over a horizontal bar of the gate or use the holes in the bolt on piece to drill a hole and put in a thru-bolt to keep it from slipping.

Latest posts