favorite beef

Help Support CattleToday:

meboyles

Reaction score
I have been thinking about raising direct market beef calves. Many people are asking me to sell them a beef calf. They are wanting "for sure" hormone antiboiotic free beef.
I am interested in your ideas on what breed or cross would make the best quality beef and what feeding program or ration you would use to get them there. If I'm going to sell beef to friends I want it to be the best it can be. Thanks for your input

I like pure simmentals or simangus, but i have both and our pure simmentals gain faster

I have been thinking about doing the same thing. I would use Angus beef. When people ask me what cows i have i always say angus and Santa gertudis they always say, "Angus like what Hardees sales"? I think angus beef has made a name for it self and someone not familar with the cow business or farming just go by what others do. I just base it on what common people think. And some people will buy it no matter what beef cow it is and either way non hormone beef is what they want.

We raise horomone free beef.
Ours are Herefords.
Get a list of potential customers started. Selling specific cuts will not work too well, too many will want steaks and not much else. Better to sell as a 1/4; 1/2; 3/4 or whole beef.

Best way to tell if your friends will like it, eat it yourself. :D

Are you planning on doing the breeding for the calves yourself or buying them from a breeder?

If you want to avoid future comebacks of beef that is tougher or drier than your customer wants (likely the one who really wanted very lean beef to start with), it will be safer to stick with strictly British breeds, hereford, angus or shorthorn or crosses thereof would be the only breeds I would consider in your situation.

Stay away from excitable animals, feed them well and before you say you're strictly antibiotic free do some research about when antibiotics can (and must) be given within a natural beef system. Often the ideal and the real world don't see eye to eye.

KNERSIE":38ns4iw4 said:
If you want to avoid future comebacks of beef that is tougher or drier than your customer wants (likely the one who really wanted very lean beef to start with), it will be safer to stick with strictly British breeds, hereford, angus or shorthorn or crosses thereof would be the only breeds I would consider in your situation.

Stay away from excitable animals, feed them well and before you say you're strictly antibiotic free do some research about when antibiotics can (and must) be given within a natural beef system. Often the ideal and the real world don't see eye to eye.
I agree on this. Breed selection is not enough. Selection for the traits you want to sell is just as important.
There are a lot of good breeds that have a reputation for producing good beef. Selection for that alone is one sure way to get an unhappy customer sooner or later.

If you want repeat customers I would highly suggest Red Polls due to their natural tenderness.

We have a waiting list for people wanting our Red Polls.

Another thing to consider is the weight that you are going to butcher them at. I would suggest somewhere around 1,200 lbs. That should give you a carcass that would grade at least choice or higher. Of course that is if you are raising Red Polls.

I luv herfrds":2zj1tu49 said:
...Selling specific cuts will not work too well, too many will want steaks and not much else. Better to sell as a 1/4; 1/2; 3/4 or whole beef....

good advice, but if you can find a local diner or two that would take regular orders of hamburger - then the sale of individual cuts works pretty good. save the steaks and grind everything else into burger. if you do go this route though, be sure to get all the legalities taken care of.

ROB

We sell Angus beef and that is what our people look for. Take advantage of the great promotion and advertising paid for by the Angus breed organization, restaurants, etc. Many of the other breeds are just fine, but I like the fact that you don't have to explain what Angus beef is - people have eaten it before and are looking for it.

My two cents.

Billy

Try the product before you sell it. The hide color wont matter. Just make sure the beef is something that you would eat personally or you will be a one hit wonder. Ok Stick with british breeds.

We feed out our straight herefords. We sell the Black Baldies to pay for the feed. This year I did 22 steers this way the most that I have done. Most people want them implant free. It takes longer to finish so make sure you price them accordingly. I also explain to people that the calves might get an antibiotic if it is needed just like we humans get if we are sick. When you explain it like that they are like ok I get it. We invite customers out if they want to see the animals. Never have had one come out yet but they are welcomed to stop by the ranch.

Most of my new customers come from referrals I do not advertise. I do belong to our local Chamber of Commerce and they know what I do so they have sent me a few clients.

Make sure of the sales tax laws in your state. I have several clients that will run short and want to just by some ground beef packages, but right now I don't want to mess with sales tax so I dont do this.

The other important part in this is the butcher. Make sure you have one that you trust. I bad butcher can ruin your plans real fast also.

We are feeding a whole corn ration out of a creep feeder 85% corn with balance of cotton seed hulls and a protein pellet and a little soy oil. Feed is there 24/7 also free choice brome or prairie hay. 22 head were sucking down 3 tons every 2 weeks. Steers finished in 16 - 17 months on average 1175- 1250 lbs.

Good luck

Jeff

try it before you sell it is critical advice. You'll know how your steaks are coming in which is going to be the measure for most customers. I raise both angus and holsteins for butcher beef and the meat quality is fabulous off of both but... I always tell the holstein buyers that your steaks are going to be smaller due to the breed and honestly most of them say thats fine. The one issue that I have learned in just the two years we have been doing this is when doing your cutting cards for the butchers alot of folks choose 3/4 inch steaks and smaller roasts due to family size , I will always try to get them into an 1 1/4 cut steak and big roasts , they cook a lot better ! A lot of them also don't know how to cook many of the cuts and if you can provide simple suggestions they seem to enjoy the beef order alot more and then ya have em hooked !
Lastly get references on your butcher , make sure they treat your customers well , make sure you get a two week hang time , we have one here that pops em out in 7 days . Don't wait till the last minute to schedule your butcher times , around here I have to call at least three months out to get spring butcher dates and if you have to cancel one out give the butcher advance notice. And make your pricing simple to understand and always get some dough up front , the ones that don't want to do that will screw you.

Everyone has their own favorite breed , I have smmentals and simm crosses , meat quality doesn't all depend on the breed , what you feed them counts too.

Latest posts