Father daughter line breeding question

Help Support CattleToday:

The reason I ask is that I have a really nice heifer calf that I'd like to retain, but am not ready to change bulls. I'm running Belted Galloways so there aren't a lot of us relative to the major breeds.

I can't say for certain how other people would react, I would be more inclined to buy a bull from that mating than a heifer though.. I just found inbreeding depression manifests itself more in the heifers, and they need to make milk and produce.. Meanwhile, in a bull, as long as he's sound for breeding, he ought to be more prepotent and consistent. I have one father-daughter mating cow, and she's going on the truck this week for being a sloth.. Not a bad looking cow, just no darned milk, and she comes from a great line of cows so there's no excuse there.

We have had many customers ask us the same question. The majority said that they wouldn't buy one just for that reason, which is a big reason why we don't. Can you get any semen from a bull and AI?

Don;t know about father daughter yet. But we haven;t gotten hurt on mother son calves.

I have a father-daughter female. She is nice. In two calves, gave us a good bull who's running in a clients herd and a heifer who is getting ready to go to another's herd.

That said ... I'm still waiting to see if she'll produce anything like her mama. Whoa, that was one awesome cow!

NonTypicalCPA":945knor8 said:
The reason I ask is that I have a really nice heifer calf that I'd like to retain, but am not ready to change bulls. I'm running Belted Galloways so there aren't a lot of us relative to the major breeds.

If it's just one heifer I wouldn't worry about it.
The amount you get docked on one calf sure won't buy a different bull.

Latest posts