Fat Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am having my annual bout of fear over fat cows. Grass on the farm is extremely good. It got a slow start but is now about as good as I have seen. Lots of orchard, clover and bluegrass.
df80x.jpg

1819tv.jpg

Sept/October Retained Heifers
4g0mr5.jpg

261hyir.jpg

1552f7r.jpg

That is a mineral feeder. Contains loose white salt and Vitaferm ConceptAid HiMag. That is a bred heifer due to Cowboy Cut in September.
10yq2jd.jpg

This is an October Bull Calf. Sired by HPF OPTIMIZER. Will probably go to Fire Sweep in July.
2jabtwo.jpg

Ummm in your last picture your missing the tractor part of your loader! (Just thought I'd let you know before you tried to use it! )

ez14.":32utajko said:
Ummm in your last picture your missing the tractor part of your loader! (Just thought I'd let you know before you tried to use it! )

Lol. I take it off when I start mowing pastures.

wbvs58":3nq4pime said:
Keep the calves on them longer Ron. Some trade cattle would be good but they come with biosecurity risk.

Ken

Exactly. My herd has become more closed. The cows stay well. Only had a couple respiratory viruses in the calves and coccidiosis.

Good problem to have! That's what I'm going for here. So many claim the Simmental is hard doing, but ours stay in better than good flesh and raise good calves on nothing but grass and mineral.
Same here on the grass. I was chasing a calf through a hayfield yesterday, chest high fescue and OG, and I'm 6'2". We should be making hay next week.

BFE":37o5g5lm said:
Good problem to have! That's what I'm going for here. So many claim the Simmental is hard doing, but ours stay in better than good flesh and raise good calves on nothing but grass and mineral.
Same here on the grass. I was chasing a calf through a hayfield yesterday, chest high fescue and OG, and I'm 6'2". We should be making hay next week.

Even longhorn and Corriente cattle would be pig fat on that kind of grass. Hard doing cattle don't show up in good times, it's the hard times that separates cattle that can hustle and those that can't.

M-5":2d7jpx1h said:
Same excuse different year . Ron's been told for years to quit feeding and get more animals. He does neither but complains about it .

He's just proving that over conditioned cows can breed and calve. I've never had pasture grass like that. Looks like a really good hayfield to me.

True Grit Farms":j8rtmrn0 said:
M-5":j8rtmrn0 said:
Same excuse different year . Ron's been told for years to quit feeding and get more animals. He does neither but complains about it .

He's just proving that over conditioned cows can breed and calve. I've never had pasture grass like that. Looks like a really good hayfield to me.

The whole farm this year has that kind of grass. Yes. This time of year until calving, I will worry about them being over conditioned. But, knock on wood and say a pray to the Bovine Gods, I never have a calving problem.

Metabolic function of a fat cow: not enough output. Bonsma has some stuff to say on fat cows as it relates to endocrine gland functions; Not positive. We all have preferences. I prefer a cow that gains up and milks off. Seem to last longer.

True Grit Farms":3v8yy8k4 said:
Ebenezer":3v8yy8k4 said:
On chronic fat cattle, it is often a sign of too low on milk production. Just saying.

Wouldn't that show up in weaning weights?
Unless they were creep fed

BTW: year over year, I have 100 % breed back. All AI. No bull. Of my first 17 AI services this winter - 16 stuck. So breeding is absolutely not being adversely affected by the over conditioning.

Never had an abortion.

Ebenezer":3fnk9mf1 said:
Metabolic function of a fat cow: not enough output. Bonsma has some stuff to say on fat cows as it relates to endocrine gland functions; Not positive. We all have preferences. I prefer a cow that gains up and milks off. Seem to last longer.

Obesity has a dramatic impact on the endocrine system in humans.

I see no signs that my fat cows are experiencing any negative endocrine functions. They all have regular normal estrus cycles. Fertility in my herd is good - I have for two years averaged 80 % conception on first serve based on natural heats. Gestation has been normal. Not experiencing any abortions. It is possible that the small percentage that require a second service experienced an early embryonic death.

However we look at it, they are fat cows. It can be a genetic disposition, great feed, ... If fertility is great(it is), then there is a level of production being missed if heavier calves are worth more. But if it works and you are happy - good.

Ebenezer":3byf6uj8 said:
However we look at it, they are fat cows. It can be a genetic disposition, great feed, ... If fertility is great(it is), then there is a level of production being missed if heavier calves are worth more. But if it works and you are happy - good.

I agree.

Latest posts