Faster than the pros

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't like rushing them through, I hate other people trying to bustle them. They move through very smoothly for me but they are very familiar with me from when I synchronise them and inseminate them and I don't like to abuse their trust of me. I usually have to have one of my dogs move them up in the yards quietly as they get a bit stubborn moving for me, very familiar with me but they are familiar with the dogs also but do respect them.

Ken

I think we did beat last yr. :)

I sorted the calves off by myself before the guys got there. Minus the first calf Hfrs. The cows all know that this means grass is next. We just alley up the cows to vaccinate. They walk right in. Didn't even have a hot-shot out there today. The calves can turn in our alley, so someone has to push them to the chute.

We have a good set up, and I had great help today. In that situation with easy working cows, you don't have to hurry to go fast.

I always give both shots to the bulls. My understanding from several vets is that they can't miscarry from lepto like the girls can, but they can still catch it and pass it around the herd.

That's crazy fast! I had four plus me work 110 head in about seven hours yesterday.
We've had A LOT of practice. My best friend and I worked for a sale barn vet for ten years. After special feeder calf sales we worked an ave of 400 hd. for the vet. We can trade jobs mid alley and not slow down.
Everyone there does their own vet work, mostly by our selves. So we all feel spoiled when we get together and work cattle. :)

I like to work in a timely manner, but I've found that when trying to go at thing fast that's when thing can go wrong and injuries can happen. With the right amount of help and good facilities and experience no doubt it can go pretty fast. I quit using stockyards vets several years ago after having to have another vet come out and lance several calves that had been cut at the yards. Ordinarily it can and does happen at times but nearly every calf cut that day had problems. Have also had a few injured from the chutes.

We will wean 200 pairs and vaccinate cows with pre breeding live before lunch and brand calves after lunch. Three shots, rfid tag, implant steers and Char x heifers, dehorn a few.and average a calf every 45 seconds with a crew of four. Bulls are banded at birth

We will wean 200 pairs and vaccinate cows with pre breeding live before lunch and brand calves after lunch. Three shots, rfid tag, implant steers and Char x heifers, dehorn a few.and average a calf every 45 seconds with a crew of four. Bulls are banded at birth
What RFID tags do you use? I have been thinking about them for a while. I just have not parted with the money for the reader yet. I would like to get one that would read from 50 ft or so..

I talked to a guy one time that had a reader mounted near his water tank and he got an alert if he had a cow that didn't come in for water after x amount of hours (I assume about 24). So he had a constant head count and went to check if someone didn't come in for a while. Guess that wouldn't work if they were drinking from a pond unless they had to pass through a gate or something but I thought about doing something similar for the cows I have at other places besides home.

I didn't find that "crazy fast". They moved right along but alley vaccinating we move through more faster. Good facilities and people who know how to handle cattle make things go a lot quicker.
Crazy fast was not meant to be derogatory, rather it was meant to represent the efficiency of experience and synchronization.

What RFID tags do you use? I have been thinking about them for a while. I just have not parted with the money for the reader yet. I would like to get one that would read from 50 ft or so..
Sorry I missed this. I will have to check the box they came in.

Latest posts