Farms raise others' cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

ANAZAZI":kgagxrm5 said:
dieselbeef":kgagxrm5 said:
if the land is a given..such as i am way understocked..it could do well if ya can find the right deal...really tho..you'd be much better off planting crops..unless you plan on doing 200 hd or more its rally hardly worth it cept for..ahem...um...fun?

You live in the south, you are understocked, were does the the hay enter the picture

Good question. In our area we can grow a pile of grass but after about 30-40 days the feed value of the grass goes to zilch due to the leaching effect of the rains. If we could stockpile grass you'd never have to roll hay but stockpiled grass here requires a lot of supplement and its cheaper (imo) to harvest the excess when its in its prime and keep the fields producing higher quality grass to get the better yields. During the summer months most everyone is understocked and the lure of more cattle always tempts you but when winter comes its either too hot for ryegrass and clover to grow at its peak or its too dry to get it to grow. Its a strange set of circumstances. If only we could grow fescue cattle production would be a lazy man's dream job.

Is it a soil thing or wrong climate or what (here I liked to put a question mark; my computer would not obey)

hey boogie pretty much nailed it..bout the time the rain stops is when the grass comes off.
my sand is kinda soily but it still grows grass when it rains. one good frost and thats the end of it. it becomes dust. right now the tops are going off already. browning up..cows eating the stuff thats short to aviod the tops...but too late to mow again. a month ago icouldve cut my ard twice a week. now its been 3 weeks and barely grown since last cut
hopefully the hieght will keep us thru the winter for the most part but the nutrition of the grass is crap once it browns off.
i say understocked cuz i have bout an acre and a half per calf.