Farmer or Rancher?

Help Support CattleToday:

crimsoncrazy

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone on here considers themselves? I'm 24 still live on the farm but not in my parents house have my own place next door. Growing up we always considered ourselves farmers. We have about 150 head of cattle and grow about 1700 acres of wheat. We bail our own hay but don't sell any of it. I have a job that i work monday thru friday midnight to 8 am then help with chores when I get off work. What percentage would you guys say you make from cattle vs farming vs other means of income?

I think it is more along the lines of what others view you as instead of how you view yourself. Perception for your area is a lot of it. Example would be that if you till the soil for annual crop production then most of my local would call you a farmer, if they perceived that you got most of your income from these crops.
However in our locale even if you have 200 head of cows and finish the calves you would still be a farmer if you had row crops also. Basically in central Iowa a rancher is a rareity but there are a lot of cattle farmers and beef producers, again a local perception.There are some so called ranches in Iowa but they are not on the same level with the working ranches that we think of as being in the western United States and parts of Canada. JMO.
JLP

Cowdirt":14s61vw4 said:
It's the hat that really tells the story. Cowboy hat; rancher. Baseball cap; farmer. ;-)

:cboy: = cowboy

:kid: = farmer

But I don't wear a hat.... :???:

I have a simular story, except I do live in my parrents house, I never left, I kicked them out. They moved up the road from the old farm house about 17 years ago. They are both gone now. I don't have any sort of off farm income. I just raise cows (about 80 cow calf pairs) and I scratch around in the dirt. There are about 1000 crop acres, and about the same amount of pastures, streams, ponds, timbers, etc. And that's about it.

One big factor is interest payments. I don't have any (and I mean ANY) debt. So I can live on a whole lot less money than other people who are making payements to Chase, Citi Bank, American Express, Mastercard, etc.

I have lived my whole life just being an "employee" of the farm, and I worked for very little money, so I learned how to do with less.

All the farm profits were always rolled right back into the business, so I never saw any windfall from the operation, however that practice certianly added to job security. I turned 39 again this year, (and probably every year from now on) and I can see far enough down the road to see, I don't have to work off the farm if I don't want to. It's a nice feeling to be able to do what you want, and to be able to enjoy what you do. I think that's about the most important thing in life.

However there are some facets I don't enjoy.... like this morning for example, as I get all my paperwork finnished up for the tax man. :dunce:

We(so far) are scratching a living off the farm .
I consider us farmers even though we do no crops.
I figure if you bring calves to a pen and chute system to work them up you are no longer a rancher :)

Cattleman

Working on my lifelong goal of being a old grouchy PITA. Wife says I am making good progress.

crimsoncrazy":19s0akbo said:
Just wondering what everyone on here considers themselves?

If you raise livestock only, you are a rancher. If you raise crops only, you are a farmer. If you do both, you are a rancher/farmer. If you have to work off farm/ranch to make the farming/ranching work, you are a realist. It's as simple as that.

upfrombottom":ywpuvb2r said:
Cowdirt":ywpuvb2r said:
It's the hat that really tells the story. Cowboy hat; rancher. Baseball cap; farmer. ;-)
I think it has more to do with what you scrape off your boots at nite.

Yahoo!! Look at my user name! I may be a rancher after all. Didn't think I'd ever make it!

Ryder":h3lcer14 said:
Cowdirt":h3lcer14 said:
Cowdirt I can tell you have a lot to learn. You did not take into account the size of the belt buckle. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Ryder, I guess it's another senior moment! How silly of me. The belt buckle is a dead give-a-way!

Latest posts