Farm Land - Leasing

Help Support CattleToday:

TXBobcat

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking at buying some land, 80% of which is in cultivation. I think the piece of land is around 200 acres, and it is currectly in good shape and has grown mainly corn in the past. It is a black land type soil, not a lot of rocks and located in Central Texas. He does not plan to farm the land, and would like to lease it out.

What is the going rate to lease this type of farm land?

What is farm land leasing for in your area?

TXBobcat":2f5ec5ep said:
A friend of mine is looking at buying some land, 80% of which is in cultivation. I think the piece of land is around 200 acres, and it is currectly in good shape and has grown mainly corn in the past. It is a black land type soil, not a lot of rocks and located in Central Texas. He does not plan to farm the land, and would like to lease it out.

What is the going rate to lease this type of farm land?

What is farm land leasing for in your area?

Hunters around here pay up to $20 an acre per year.

Hard for cattlemen to compete with that. I might pay that for a place that has good fences and good grass.

MikeC":2cutikcj said:
[
Hunters around here pay up to $20 an acre per year.

Guess I need to clarify. He wants to continue to keep the land in cultivation, but instead of farming it himself, lease it out to someone else to farm.

But, as far as hunting goes, guess he could plant strips of sunflowers and wheat, and lease it out to dove hunters.

Crop land rental prices can vary quite a lot even within small sections of a county. For example, one of our places is in $60/acre land rent area --- and not very many miles down the road $40 is really pushing it. It is really going to depend on soil type, topography, whether or not there is a qualified base for cotton, corn, milo, etc. under the government programs, and so on. I'd suggest that your friend go in person to the Farm Service Agency (FSA) office for his county and see if they can give him some good info on cash rents in the vicinity of his place. The FSA administers all the government farm programs locally, and they have information regarding the cash rental amounts for any land that is signed up under the government programs by the person that actually does the farming.

wow that is cheap maybe i ought to move to Texas, up here cultivated ground is real cheap at 70 bucks an acre and can run upwards of 150-200 depending on what else you can grow and you have to pay water on top of it all.