Family Farming Legacies

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":2no25dm3 said:
I bet that's fun.
Yeah, it really is. I'm not much on having things handed to me so it's a good feeling to earn it back into the family. :D That way I feel like it's mine.

denvermartinfarms":4bktnlx5 said:
cow pollinater":4bktnlx5 said:
denvermartinfarms":4bktnlx5 said:
I bet that's fun.
Yeah, it really is. I'm not much on having things handed to me so it's a good feeling to earn it back into the family. :D That way I feel like it's mine.
We're the same on that.

Well I tell ya what i got land/equipment handed down to me and I sure wouldnt hand it back or refuse it.. :)

Not sure how to answer this. I'm brand new to farming and still just a weekend warrior, well in reality, an every 4-5 weeks, weekend warrior.

The farm itself has been in my wife's family since the 1860s and her great great grandfather build a fine old 14 room 16 fireplaces all brick 2 story home that still houses a tenant family that works the tobacco and helps with the cattle.

My wife and her sister will inherit it all and I'm 99% sure none of the kids on either side will take up the cause so it may well be that I'll be the last person to farm that land and that's assuming I get up there before I'm too old to do so.

Yea, Its a horrible thing to see family farms sell out cause no one wants to continue. I got a feeling my kids if they choose to farm will only row crop farm and not fool with cattle but hopefully they will. They seem to like the cattle and everything that goes along with it but in reality the row crop farming is gonna be where they make there living so I understand if they dont want to fool with cattle.

TennesseeTuxedo":uob40giw said:
Not sure how to answer this. I'm brand new to farming and still just a weekend warrior, well in reality, an every 4-5 weeks, weekend warrior.

The farm itself has been in my wife's family since the 1860s and her great great grandfather build a fine old 14 room 16 fireplaces all brick 2 story home that still houses a tenant family that works the tobacco and helps with the cattle.

My wife and her sister will inherit it all and I'm 99% sure none of the kids on either side will take up the cause so it may well be that I'll be the last person to farm that land and that's assuming I get up there before I'm too old to do so.

TT... sounds nice hurry up and get up there and commence to farming

Fourth generation farm here. I have a 30 year old son is working as a partner on the farm now. He will own it some day.

Does anyone have an old barn still being used?
We have a gunstock style first generation English barn that was built around 1780 that I am still using.

I think farming is going down the drain. The farmers let the price of their goods get to high. Now a lot of other countries are growing their own and shipping there excess here. The next thing I see hurting the farmers is we need to do away with all government subsidies and government backed crop insurance. The gov. needs to stop wasting our tax dollars on farm welfare, and all other welfare too. One of these days we are going to stop paying taxes and that will be the end of wasteful spending by our government.

My barn is mid 1800's. I know from family records that it is older than the house and the house is 1915 by county records and 1915 was the first year that the county kept records so any home that was already standing here got a 1915 date. That's about as old as it gets here in CA. :lol:

I'm the 3rd and last generation here on this place. I have no kids of my own, nor any nephews/neices.

My health forced me to retire at age 50. I sold the home place to the next door neighbors. I get to live here as long as I want/am able. After I'm gone, this will probably just be another vacant ranch headquarters. :(

Grandpa homesteaded here in the 1900's. He and Grandma, my dad as a toddler, and oldest uncle as a baby came from Ringgold Co IA to stay in 1925. They came to Wall SD on train. Team and wagon forded Cheyenne River north of Wall and came rest of way.

2 more uncles born here. Only youngest of the 4 is left. He sold out and moved to McCook Nebraska to be near his wife's family. All Dad's brothers had sizable ranches, all sold to outsiders now.

As I type this I'm sitting in the original part of the house Grandpa built.

skyhightree1":bhz7k8iz said:
TennesseeTuxedo":bhz7k8iz said:

TT... sounds nice hurry up and get up there and commence to farming

You got that right Sky.

Dad was born on this place in 1918, not really sure what him and his uncle did with when they lived here. Dad got married and moved off to the city was a good job, I was born there. We wanted out of the city hustle and bustle so we moved here about 18 years ago. Work full time off the farm but decided we wanted to make the farm pay its way. This place was grown up and let go really bad, put a lot of work into and still got more to do. My uncle and a good family friend had cattle, made me want some to help keep the place cleaned up. Guess you can say I inherited the land and a tractor mom bought for me to mow the place with after dad died. We have come quite a ways since dad died 22 years ago, like TT I started out as a weekend warrior living 150 miles away taking care of this place. Daughter loves cattle and hopefully she will keep the place going, just got to get her comfortable on a tractor. Got to admit sometimes I wonder why I do it, hard to get away from the place when you have calves to feed, chickens to feed.

My great-great grandfather came here when this part of the country first opened up to settle. We have the deeds where he bought the land from the railroad.

Tim/South":2n04n3dz said:
My great-great grandfather came here when this part of the country first opened up to settle. We have the deeds where he bought the land from the railroad.
very nice

skyhightree1":33r2n4rm said:
My cousin and I are the last remaining farmers in the family everyone else ran for city jobs and living in the city. I wondered how many of us in here are farming from a legacy that began generations ago ?

They've been running cattle way back in my family. They were driving cattle to New Orleans for 50 years prior to trails going north out of TX. Goodnight and Chisolm was only a brief 10 year period but it received all the romanticism.

We've tracked our maple syrup lineage back over 7 generations, the family land goes back slightly further. All the generations farmed and had livestock/work horses. We've always hayed, always tapped trees and always done something on the farm, but we briefly had no livestock at all.

I bought my own land and am farming there as well as helping on the homestead. My some has special needs, so I'm not sure if he will continue the legacy. One niece is moving to WY. To start a new life, the other is too young yet to know if she'll carry it on.

Latest posts