False heats?

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
How often do you encounter cows having false heats?

I had two cases where a short bred cow showed a strong standing heat in the last 4 years.

In the first case the cow calved a week before her AI due date, but she was standing to be mounted by the bull exactly 21 days after she was AI'd

The second case is a heifer that was AI'd 8 January 2007 and was standing for the cleanup bull on 9 February. I saw the bull mount and breed her and he ejaculated. At the time I was puzzled because it was inbetween cycles, but assumed that she had resorbed. At the moment she can calf any minute now and there is no way she can go another month. I would be surprized if she doesn't calf by Friday.

happened to me twice. saw the cows in heat, palpated them and got my finger bit by the calf, kind of a shocker.

Used to own an Angus cow who usually showed heat about 6 months bred. Concerned us the first time, but she did it every time.

I have had several of my heifers and cows mount each other all during the 9 months, but the bull doesn't pay them much attention .

In horses,(so it is said,) if the stallion tries to mount a mare who is bred, supposedly means the mare is carrying a filly. It does seem to be true in horses...

Has there been any correlation between standing when pregnant and gender of the calf?

Personally, I think my cows swing both ways.

Herd manager refers to them as follicular heats. I see it on a pretty regular basis. At first through me off because I thought these cows were slipping their calves. Confirmed pregnant, but will stand.

born2run":3ka6h5ar said:
Herd manager refers to them as follicular heats. I see it on a pretty regular basis. At first through me off because I thought these cows were slipping their calves. Confirmed pregnant, but will stand.

I've got 2 heifers doing it right now. They were both exposed to a bull all summer one is 16mo old the other is a yr older both 1st calf and full sisters. We will preg check next month I guess we'll know for sure then,

I've seen them both in standing heat in the last 2 weeks. My buddy says he has a cow that does it all winter every year and has a calf every spring.

Had a cow in heat so we AIed her and the witnessed the bull bred her in the next 30 days so I thiught wasted straw and the next spring lost her calf bred to AI Sire Basic luckily did not lose cow. I have then witnessed her over the years doing this all summer long she just likes getting bred.

Yeah never used Basic again that was a disaster.

Jeff

Latest posts