Fall sale prices???

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone been to any fall sales to see what prices are?
Wondering what an Angus 13-14 months old have been going for?
Open ready to breed Angus and Angus/Sim heifers might go for?

Around here last Monday at sale barn several groups of heifers weighing 900+ lbs brought 1.00 lb. They were nice sets of very uniform angus . I should have bought them but don't have anywhere to put them. These were nice and I knew where they came from.

I think its a buyers market right now.

tom4018":2dl7dn85 said:
Anyone been to any fall sales to see what prices are?
Wondering what an Angus 13-14 months old have been going for?
Open ready to breed Angus and Angus/Sim heifers might go for?

About 2/3 what they were worth 4 or 5 months ago.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1iloj7i3 said:
Here is a link to our sale results, which was just last weekend. Open heifers averaged about $2K. These were simm, simmangus, and angus heifers....

http://www.cattleindemand.com/pdfs/Fall ... rt2015.pdf
Fire Sweep, just by glancing at your report and comparing to the sale today. Pairs there went higher, bred heifers were higher there, open heifers were close to the same and hard to tell on bulls.
The Sim Angus bulls and Angus bulls did really good I thought here today while the pure Sim bulls were a lot cheaper, several good looking bulls for less than $2,000.

tom4018 said:
Anyone been to any fall sales to see what prices are? quote]

Heifer markets are soft. Some hobby guys still overpaying for common and BM cows.
Local guy no saled BA open heifers this spring for $1800. Sold them as breds last week for $1630...

I have problems believing folks would buy open registered heifers. If I was spending that amount of money for a heifer. I'd want them AI bred to a low BW, CE bull and a pelvic check done.

tom4018":7q2p0jiw said:
ddd75":7q2p0jiw said:
just sold my bred heifers @ 1500/each
Wish I could find them at that price.

There may be some that cheap all over if calves go down a little more. Did you go to Cattlemans for their special bred sale on last Monday? I watched the whole sale and bid twice. They got the young cattle sold pretty high.

Ojp6":3no4norn said:
tom4018":3no4norn said:
ddd75":3no4norn said:

There may be some that cheap all over if calves go down a little more. Did you go to Cattlemans for their special bred sale on last Monday? I watched the whole sale and bid twice. They got the young cattle sold pretty high.
No I didn't what did they run?

I went to the Breeding for The Future sale there Saturday. They were still pretty good I thought, spring calving heifers were $1800 and up. Most of the open heifers were $1200 -1300 and lots of pairs about $2600. Sim bulls were the cheapest.

http://www.breedingforthefuture.com/past-sales.html

sold them for pretty cheap.. i sold most of my cow herd to one guy last week. 2200 / pair w/ 400 lb calves. 2000 / pair with 250 lb and under calves. 1500 ea for heavy bred cows. 1500 fo rthe bred heifers. don't thinik I gave them away.. given the prices currently.. but I don't think I did great either.

He got one hell of a good, young, culled herd for a good deal.

ddd75":3ooymnyx said:
sold them for pretty cheap.. i sold most of my cow herd to one guy last week. 2200 / pair w/ 400 lb calves. 2000 / pair with 250 lb and under calves. 1500 ea for heavy bred cows. 1500 fo rthe bred heifers. don't thinik I gave them away.. given the prices currently.. but I don't think I did great either.

He got one be nice of a good, young, culled herd for a good deal.
Are you totally getting out?

tom4018":3hh8myht said:
ddd75":3hh8myht said:

He got one be nice of a good, young, culled herd for a good deal.
Are you totally getting out?

no, i'm keeping just a few of the herd. 11 brood and 1 bull. the best ones.. and some of the calves.

selling the farm, and buying a new one. the new farm is all currently crops.. so i need to establish pasture before i start buying cows again. This time around, I'm going to buy herefords, or preferably, F1's.

new farm is 3.5 hours away.. so hauling 550 round bales over there is out of the question.. and buying all that hay, then even more in the spring, wouldn't pencil out. but.. the new place.. with about 10' deep top soil.. should hold a pretty good amount of cattle :D

ddd75":6gj5fkk6 said:
no, i'm keeping just a few of the herd. 11 brood and 1 bull. the best ones.. and some of the calves.

selling the farm, and buying a new one. the new farm is all currently crops.. so i need to establish pasture before i start buying cows again. This time around, I'm going to buy herefords, or preferably, F1's.

new farm is 3.5 hours away.. so hauling 550 round bales over there is out of the question.. and buying all that hay, then even more in the spring, wouldn't pencil out. but.. the new place.. with about 10' deep top soil.. should hold a pretty good amount of cattle :D
What area you moving too?

tom4018":3l6pe8hm said:
Ojp6":3l6pe8hm said:
ddd75":3l6pe8hm said:

I went to the Breeding for The Future sale there Saturday. They were still pretty good I thought, spring calving heifers were $1800 and up. Most of the open heifers were $1200 -1300 and lots of pairs about $2600. Sim bulls were the cheapest.

They had some AI bred heifers bring over 2100. They sold 20 open heifers from 900-1250. Good pairs 2,000 to 2,400. A pretty good market overall though for how bad it's been a lot of places.

Ojp6":30412ts1 said:
tom4018":30412ts1 said:
Ojp6":30412ts1 said:

They had some AI bred heifers bring over 2100. They sold 20 open heifers from 900-1250. Good pairs 2,000 to 2,400. A pretty good market overall though for how bad it's been a lot of places.

I bought a bull and open heifer. Wanted bred one but just a little more than I wanted to pay, the one I wanted brought $2400, paid less than that for one like it back in spring.

ddd75":27hgpk0w said:

We sold some bred heifers private treaty in Jan for $2850, which was only a couple hundred more than the Sale Barn average. Planned on doing it again this year but based on what I'm seeing on this board we may just keep them. We also have 28 weaned calves we planned to sell earlier this month but we talked to the owner of the Sale Barn & he said to wait until this week or the 1st of next year.

Stevensons Diamond Dot Angus Sale Report
Hobson, Montana
Auctioneer: Joe Goggins & Roger Jacobs

73 Older Bulls averaged $7,092
17 Yearling Bulls averaged $10,823
230 Bull Calves averaged $6,948
3 Open Heifers averaged $5,500
60 Bred Heifers averaged $4,510
35 Bred Cows averaged $3,530
http://www.billpelton.com/salereport.php?saleid=916

Watched parts of this on Superior... While I was watching the commercial bred heifers/cows were going for around $2500...

tom4018":2r1mbupl said:
ddd75":2r1mbupl said:

What area you moving too?

central ohio