Fall planting

Help Support CattleToday:

Jacob

Reaction score
Well it's that time of year to start thinking of winter grazing. I'm just curious what everyone plants and the verity. I been really paying attention over the last few year and realizing our winter grazing is a lot more important than summer grazing as we calve in the fall. Here is what I'm planting this year.

A blend of 75lbs horizon 201 oat, 25lbs Florida 401 rye, and 15 lbs prine rye grass per acer

I will drill 30lbs of prine rye grass into our Bahia pastures.

I want to plant some clover but we been spraying our pastuers for weeds and have one more year before we get them where we want so maybe plant the clover next year.

I do wrens abruzi at 75lbs an acre in turned land. Also spread about 5lbs of turnips. Limit graze to 3-4 hrs a day. Works for us as we have a small patch that we plant peas or corn on in the summer. Have used it for pearl millet if we need it during the summer.

They do pretty good. It does take the cows a little while to get around to eating them. Mine will start on the leaves when the rye slows down. Then the go through and eat the roots flush with the ground. After every thing is played out they will nose up the remaining roots.

Latest posts