Fall or spring calving in the south

Help Support CattleToday:

B&M Farms

Reaction score
I just started calving at a selected time in 2010. I set up to start calving in mid Oct. to wean everthing around mid June. My thinking was to sale in June and just have cows on pasture through the summer when it usually gets hot and drier here and to avoid summer calving by running a bull all year. I know I am having to feed a little more than if they calved in the spring though. Before I had cows at all stages at all times of the year running together though so feeding was harder. I think I might do better calving in the spring and not having to supplement hay in the winter or at least not much. I was wanting to hear what others thought the pros and cons of spring and fall calving were. Thanks

\

picking a set calving time is hard because of what nova said.if you calve in the fall the calves will be big enough to eat spring grass.if you calve in the spring you feed less as the cows have grass if no drought.then you can sell if the fall.

I used to calve both spring and fall, but now I like fall calving because I live in the hot part of the country. In the fall, flies are minimal, conception rates are vastly improved, by grazing rye I can maintain a higher level of nutrition pre to post breeding, maintaining rye is less costly than fertilizing permanent pastures and since I have to feed some hay anyway regardless of when calving season was I could reduce the amount by having winter annuals.
Calving in October / weaning mid-May / I place my calves on summer millet and am able to get at least 2.5 lbs ADG post-weaning until Sept 1.

JS

B&M Farms":1pu8gy0y said:
I just started calving at a selected time in 2010. I set up to start calving in mid Oct. to wean everthing around mid June. My thinking was to sale in June and just have cows on pasture through the summer when it usually gets hot and drier here and to avoid summer calving by running a bull all year. I know I am having to feed a little more than if they calved in the spring though. Before I had cows at all stages at all times of the year running together though so feeding was harder. I think I might do better calving in the spring and not having to supplement hay in the winter or at least not much. I was wanting to hear what others thought the pros and cons of spring and fall calving were. Thanks

\

I am in the process of seting my calving time to Jan. Which is typically when I start the cows on the winter rye. I should have millet ready come May-June, plan on weaning/grazing the calves on that through some of the summer. We have never had a specific calving season, we will see how this works out for us.

From my point of view, the biggest downside of fall calving in the south is that your have to carry wet (milking) cows during the winter. A wet cow can easily consume twice what a dry one would. Having said that, if you have adequate hay, and or ryegrass then fall is great.

Biggest benefit of fall calving that I've found is that you can pick when you sell your calves - as in sell earlier in the summer if the price is high, instead of being forced to sell in October (spring calf) when the prices have plummeted.

I'm finding that I like like January. Those cattle can be carried fairly cheap, calves are large enough to eat grass when it gets here, generally still cool enough when the bull goes in that breed up is better than if calving in march or april, hay consumption isn't to high as those cows are dry half of the winter here, and generally the weather cooperates enough here for me to be able to do this.

^ I used to calve in jan and feb. as you can sale calves by early Sept. before the fall run. And the ryegrass was ready in March - May when it was needed most.

Douglas":3v0mmxom said:
^ I used to calve in jan and feb. as you can sale calves by early Sept. before the fall run. And the ryegrass was ready in March - May when it was needed most.
Douglas.. "used to" as in you have changed calving seasons or you just dont do it at all anymore.???

I do both at different locations. But spring to me is Jan/Feb. My choice would be early September calves. These are ready to sell in March when the price is generally the best.
One thing good about doing both is if you have one that doesn't breed back immediately and you don't want to cull her, you can move her to the other bunch and not lose a full year.

Limomike":3lmib5v2 said:
Douglas":3lmib5v2 said:
Douglas.. "used to" as in you have changed calving seasons or you just dont do it at all anymore.???
stockers only now.

Latest posts