Fall calving

Help Support CattleToday:

I've had pretty good luck leaving them on the cow. They'll probably be on the smaller side but combined weight will be more than a single. I will monitor the cow and be ready to put her in the barn for some supplemental feed if she loses condition. She's going into fall pretty fat though, so hopefully she won't need help.
Do you keep them in a more confined space for a few days or just let them go?

Do you keep them in a more confined space for a few days or just let them go?
Depends on the cow. If she's thin or not making much milk I'll put them up. This cow's a tank and has a large bag, so I'll leave them in the pasture. Plus she seems to like both calves.

I've had it both ways on twins, but it's always exciting to find two!

If she'll take them both, I would separate them out and pamper momma, she's doing double duty!

I've had it both ways on twins, but it's always exciting to find two!

If she'll take them both, I would separate them out and pamper momma, she's doing double duty!
First set, momma didn't know she had two and couldn't remember where she hid the first one, kind of a rodeo for a couple of days. We put them up for about a week, she claims every calf in the field now. 2nd set was born about 30 ft from our corral field, so we just put them up together to be safe.

We had a set of twins born while we were at a show, then 4 days later had another one born while we were again at a show. All 3 heifers. Twins are doing great. We pretty much always leave both on the cow - unless we have a dead calf, then we will pull one and splice on new cow.

@Lazy M - I totally agree. Not a fan of twins, but it is quite common with my Simmental. You have a fancy pair there!! Our pair were red and black, but I didn't get the beautiful white faces!

My cattle are easy keepers and they all tend to have large calves - especially fall calvers. But, no matter how good or what their pedigree, all bulls are castrated/banded at birth if over 99# (or bad CE EPD's) Most of my bulls sold to commercial breeders have mid 90's BW. Farms out here don't have a bull for heifers and one for cows. My bulls get used on both. I had orders for 5 bulls before calving season started this past spring and already have orders for 2 for next Jan/Feb calving. People know I don't keep a bull around over 2 months past weaning, so they pick early. I have to admit, having orders before they are born is not a "norm". 1st one that put his order in had 1st pick. Normally, I do not sell very many bulls - maybe 2-3 a year - all as calves.

@moses388 yes to both questions. NY is the 3rd largest dairy state (amazing?? right? Agriculture is the #1 industry in NY). A lot of dairymen are going out of business and switching to beef. Some just commercial, some wanting PB. I do have a dairyman that may come out tomorrow to see the herd - interested in starting a Simmental herd. But, "most" of my bulls (calves only) are sold to commercial breeders. 2 of this years bull calves are going to purebred Angus herds.

Just had a buyer come and drove off with the 2 bulls I had not sold. Unusual buyer for out here. Runs 200 head of cows and lots of bulls - South of here over the line into PA. Last 2 to sell and first off the farm.

fall calves pic01
fall calves pic02
heifer calf pic

Couple pictures from the fall. I gotta have a few colored cattle. All black would be boring. No horns though. Cutting nuts is enough. That heifer had the calf yesterday - Wed, Jan 12, 2022. Calf's sire is Sunnyslope Odyssey H71. It's a bull calf and I have high hopes for him. Will use him for a herd sire if his DNA profile scores are good. That was my last semen straw of Odyssey. I tried him on cows, but didn't settle.

Latest posts