Fall calving

Help Support CattleToday:

I love it when the calves get walleyed like 89's baby!
I also have a "Crazy 89" cow.lol Calf curious as can be but mom will definitely not let u near first couple of weeks.

Calves look great. Cows looked like, as some say on here, sneezed and baby came out.

Look great. I love looking at new babies. We started our fall calving earlier than planned. Due 9-12, 15 year old had a set of twin heifers yesterday. Up & sucking when we found her. Been gone to a fair, so didn't know she was in labor. Knew her bag was big, but didn't think much of it. Little red 80# and black 76#. Only have 6 due for fall (now 5!!)

Nice looking calves! What kind of bull did you breed to? Seems like they are all throwing white somewhere.
My cows have a rough date of Sept. 13th as a due date. Hoping they start coming soon. Like you all said above it's the best time of the year when calves are hitting the ground!

Nice looking calves! What kind of bull did you breed to? Seems like they are all throwing white somewhere.
My cows have a rough date of Sept. 13th as a due date. Hoping they start coming soon. Like you all said above it's the best time of the year when calves are hitting the ground!
Bred most the heifers to a hereford. The others exposed to several simmental bulls. The most senior sim bull has a white face and stamps most his calves with at least some white

I'll add more later. 04E5E3E1-7C9A-403E-8474-263004199C87.jpegCcr Boulder x beacon
00AA16A9-C554-467B-A5C0-AD0E7B98AF3B.jpegTJ frosty x beacon. This picture has been posted in another thread already. 0FC14CA9-769B-4B9F-A66C-886C1025AE7A.jpegRed angus x commercial simmental. Last year I bought the RA to replace an older simm bull. Apparently the simmy gave out through the season, so I'm spread all over this year. The RA got quite a few when I brought the cows home for the winter, I already had him home with some heifers. Glad I did, but looks like I'm going to a more fall calving herd in the future. I'll hold the bull next year, but next years calves will be scattered too. '23 will be tightened back up.

Been pretty eventful so far for us, 4 cows w 6 calves on the ground. We are just a 20hd deal so 2 sets of twins right out of the gate is a little different.

Attachments

• C413A8BA-1451-44A7-980B-69C64AA23FC5.jpeg
    C413A8BA-1451-44A7-980B-69C64AA23FC5.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 9
  • 350093DF-C5C7-459A-9A7C-5113F6864FF6.jpeg
    350093DF-C5C7-459A-9A7C-5113F6864FF6.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
Nice looking calves! You keeping them both on the cow or going to pull one and bottle feed it? I've never had any luck with a cow taking both calves. Some have tried but after a month or so they get so sucked down trying to feed both calves. Now days after a day or so I pull off one and bottle feed or sell it to someone who buys bottle babies. Maybe just my luck idk.

Nice looking calves! You keeping them both on the cow or going to pull one and bottle feed it? I've never had any luck with a cow taking both calves. Some have tried but after a month or so they get so sucked down trying to feed both calves. Now days after a day or so I pull off one and bottle feed or sell it to someone who buys bottle babies. Maybe just my luck idk.
I've had pretty good luck leaving them on the cow. They'll probably be on the smaller side but combined weight will be more than a single. I will monitor the cow and be ready to put her in the barn for some supplemental feed if she loses condition. She's going into fall pretty fat though, so hopefully she won't need help.

Latest posts