Fall Calving Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
First calf was born September 5. Last calf was born October 20. Total of 13 cows and 2 heifers delivered.

The average gestation was 280 days. The range was 255 to 290. The 255 day calf did not stand for 2 days. It was obvious from birth that it was going to be a battle. I tubed the calf with high quality colostrum replacer containing 200 IgG antibodies. Then milked dam and tubed whole milk for 5 days. Calf stood and tried nursing on day 3. But was not efficient enough to discontinue tubing. At two weeks of age currently calf is vigorous and doing well.

The average birth weight is 83.5 pounds. Which is a decrease from my average of 86 pounds. The range is 55 to 104. The calf born at 255 days was 55 pounds.

This is the last calf:

28iz48l.jpg

This is Summertime. A Broadway calf.

2e2gmwz.jpg

Calves are starting to creep feed:

muxrmp.jpg

They are also congregating in my new haltering corral:

15xscjq.jpg

Another Broadway, Mulatto:

3502w5h.jpg

That is a nice group Ron. I had one that was 28 days early this year at 18kg, I didn't do anything special with her other than keeping an eye on her she managed to suckle her mum, that was early June. I weighed her today at 170kg.

Are any of those photos of your early calf Ron? You did very well getting it over the hump.

Ken

wbvs58":ty2ro4ab said:
That is a nice group Ron. I had one that was 28 days early this year at 18kg, I didn't do anything special with her other than keeping an eye on her she managed to suckle her mum, that was early June. I weighed her today at 170kg.

Are any of those photos of your early calf Ron? You did very well getting it over the hump.

Ken

Thanks. No. The early calf is below. Nine days old today and vigorous. He looks like a miniature with the other calves that have a 80 to a 100 pounds over his weight.
NOTE: HPF Optimizer, throws a ton of white on cows that have white! Going to have to watch that.
25ksvfo.jpg

Latest posts