fall calves

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
I'm wanting to move from spring calving to fall. I've bought 13 heifers and only have 5 left to calve. I have 20 spring bred cows. They are good cows but I don't think they are good enough to spend all that time moving them over to fall. I've thought about selling but my concern is that cows are gonna go stupid before I could buy some more. I don't have much in these 20 like 680 a piece. I got them for a deal last fall. Anyone with any wisdom for a young guy?

I have done both, and there are pros and cons to both. Early fall calves, less worry about cold weather for the calves, late fall can be a problem with the cold. Spring calves will hopefully have grass to get them to weaning, and no worry about the weather. Fall calves will be ready to finish out the next year, and I prefer this. I see benefits both ways. Sound like you have purchased well, if winter feed doesn't hurt too much, might be best to hang on, I wish I could have. With luck, I can build back up next spring if the grass comes along.

I didn't like the spring calving. The calves didn't grow too well because of the heat, and the heat was rough on the cows and bull when it got time to breed back.

I have both and I agree that they both have pros and cons. One of the cons to the fall calves is a drought. Wintering cows on sorry hay and lots of feed ain't fun when they all have calves on em. Fall calves have less death loss but seem to be a bit smaller than spring calves at weaning. Pulling calves in 60 deg weather is a heck of a lot better than 20 deg.

We have pretty warm winters here, and hot springs. I'm probably gonna put the word out that they are for sale and if I can get a good price I will let them go if not I will start to move them to fall calving. I've also acquired 40 acres for to run cows on across the ponds here. So I want to expand with better cattle.

I was able to move my calving back from May to February in a few years by having cows cycle fast after calving on winter annuals. I wounder if they could gratually get earlier and end up fall calving?

I too am moving from spring to fall calving. I see you are in Alabama and I am in Eastern North Carolina. Our winters are mild. This year I am having Dec. - Feb. calves and by moving back two more years I will be to early fall. I think the calves do better after weaning going out on pasture in the spring instead of weaning and going into the winter.

Douglas":fpxsdem3 said:
I was able to move my calving back from May to February in a few years by having cows cycle fast after calving on winter annuals. I wounder if they could gratually get earlier and end up fall calving?
Have had great results with Jan/Feb calving down this way. Good milk production with spring flush, fast growing calves and no breeding problems.

We have had a small spring and small fall herd (30ish) for a few years now. We are moving back to spring. There are tremendous advantages to both. Reasons for switching back are that we are trying to be a cooperative herd for purebred herds and there seems to be more demand for that in the spring. It is harder to raise the same size calf in the fall. More inputs and more health issues. For me creep feed is a must through the winter. We don't have the best facilities to keep those babies out of the mud, which leads to more pneunomia. We have plenty of high quality grass in the spring and summer so that is easier than putting out hay for the additional mouths in the winter. I like fall raised heifers. Breed them for first calf fall calves then let them have a couple extra months to recoup and move them for 2nd calf spring calving. Fall and spring herds utilize bull power better. We only ran one bull on these 60-70 cows.

Latest posts