Fall Breeding Season

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I bred 20 (17 cows and 3 heifers) head beginning November 17, 2018. Bred the last one on January 5, 2019. All have passed at least one cycle. The fall calving due dates range from August 29, 2019 to October 17, 2019.

Now, I will watch for any that return to heat due to early embryonic death. Last year the heifers were tough, this year they were easy. I got 20 bred on 28 service attempts. Which is an overall conception rate of 71 %. All were bred on observed heats - no timed AI. I did use the 7 day CIDR protocol to get 4 cows setup.

Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
I think that's excellent. Does 28 services equal 28 straws of semen?

Thank you
Yes.

Ron were there some that were hard to breed or you just serviced 20 cows with 28 total services?

None were hard to stick. All were easy to get into the cervix, in fact, the easiest breeding season I have had from a technical perspective. There were some rebreeds. So in a total of 28 services, I have completed getting all pregnant assuming there is no future embryonic deaths.

Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:
Thank you
Yes.

Ron were there some that were hard to breed or you just serviced 20 cows with 28 total services?

None were hard to stick. All were easy to get into the cervix, in fact, the easiest breeding season I have had from a technical perspective. There were some rebreeds. So in a total of 28 services, I have completed getting all pregnant assuming there is no future embryonic deaths.

Understand, I know people that don't breed a lot of cows can get frustrated when it gets tough going. Whatever you do just give up 15-20 mins after you have thawed and dump semen in them! Not on the ground. You will be shocked how well conception rate is just placing it as far as you got in.

I got 1-2 dairy cows get filled up with gas so bad you can't get ahold of anything. Last 2 lactations I have just gun gun inside her vulva and dumped it. 1 service 1 pregnancy 2 times! But this time took me 7 tries!

Till-Hill said:
Bright Raven said:
Till-Hill said:

Understand, I know people that don't breed a lot of cows can get frustrated when it gets tough going. Whatever you do just give up 15-20 mins after you have thawed and dump semen in them! Not on the ground. You will be shocked how well conception rate is just placing it as far as you got in.

I got 1-2 dairy cows get filled up with gas so bad you can't get ahold of anything. Last 2 lactations I have just gun gun inside her vulva and dumped it. 1 service 1 pregnancy 2 times! But this time took me 7 tries!

Just got to be honest, I don't quit until I get into the uterus. I confirm that I got through the cervix by tilting the rod down in the back as I come out. I can feel the tip on each ring as I count them on the way out. I did have one cow that was like you said. Had a lot of manure and then got aired up. I could not get a gripe on the cervix. I finally, gave up, cleaned her out and went back in. That time I was able to gripe the cervix and work it over the rod.

Next year breed them on observed and timed heat. You'll probably be close to 100% on first cycle. I bred one cow 4 times in 2 1/2 days she stuck, but who knows which time.

True Grit Farms said:
Next year breed them on observed and timed heat. You'll probably be close to 100% on first cycle. I bred one cow 4 times in 2 1/2 days she stuck, but who knows which time.

Tell me the story on the 4 times in 2 1/2 days.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

She kept acting like she was in heat. Once 50 hours after 7 days, once around 60 hours and twice later. That's the only one so far, but I've bred quite a few cows twice. A lot of cows on timed AI come in early for some reason. I set a cow to bred in the afternoon on timed AI. If she's in heat in the morning I breed her then and then again in the afternoon with a shot of GnRH.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

She kept acting like she was in heat. Once 50 hours after 7 days, once around 60 hours and twice later. That's the only one so far, but I've bred quite a few cows twice. A lot of cows on timed AI come in early for some reason. I set a cow to bred in the afternoon on timed AI. If she's in heat in the morning I breed her then and then again in the afternoon with a shot of GnRH.

Yes. Thanks. Last year, Margo was not coming into estrus. So I set her up on the 7 day CIDR protocol. She did not exhibit estrus so I time bred her in the evening. Her stripe was gone the next morning and her tail head was rubbed. So I bred her. Because I didn't want to risk doing this all again in 21 days, I bred her that evening also. So 3 times in a total of 24 hours. She stuck and had a Cowboy Cut calf this fall.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:

Yes. Thanks. Last year, Margo was not coming into estrus. So I set her up on the 7 day CIDR protocol. She did not exhibit estrus so I time bred her in the evening. Her stripe was gone the next morning and her tail head was rubbed. So I bred her. Because I didn't want to risk doing this all again in 21 days, I bred her that evening also. So 3 times in a total of 24 hours. She stuck and had a Cowboy Cut calf this fall.

You'll definitely be close to 100% on the first cycle if you breed that way. :clap:

Very impressive results, I hope to be that good someday. If you feel like you need a refresher to get you prepared for next fall, give me a call this April :lol: I'd even buy your plane ticket
My conceptions rates on heifers were terrible again this year. 33%. On cows, doing extremely well. Still have several to go, but looking to be 75-80%.
Almost a spitting image of last year, I've got to figure out the problem with the heifers. They are calving hard now from first bull service.

T & B farms said:
Very impressive results, I hope to be that good someday. If you feel like you need a refresher to get you prepared for next fall, give me a call this April :lol: I'd even buy your plane ticket
My conceptions rates on heifers were terrible again this year. 33%. On cows, doing extremely well. Still have several to go, but looking to be 75-80%.
Almost a spitting image of last year, I've got to figure out the problem with the heifers. They are calving hard now from first bull service.

I am having the same trouble with my heifers the last 2 years. 2 out of 8 have stuck to 1st insemination, only picked up one more on 2nd insemination. I did 3 a 3rd time for no result. Technically the inseminations were perfect as far as I could tell. They are now with the bull. The cow herd went exceptionally well on first inseminations. I will have to reassess for next year.

Well done again Ron.

Ken

Thanks all.

There are many factors. Herd health, forage, mineral, and most of all - timimg.

I also think my cows are fertile.

I'm going to the 14 day cidr protocol on my heifers this spring. I've talked to several locals that have a lot more experience than me, that's what they suggested. I feed vitaferm mineral, and they are in top condition at breeding. Also, I only keep heifers out of proven cows and most are AI sired. I do just fine on cows, just having some trouble on heifers. They will almost all calve from the first bull service, so that what everyone can't figure out. We'll see how the 14 day protocol does.

T & B farms said:
How well are your heifers fed? I custom ai for herd that shows same as you. Cant stick heifers but cows no problem. They creep feed and background their calves for pounds. Heifers weigh 1200-1400 when I breed them. We have tried starving them, keeping on feed, I mean everything in between. Cant get them to stick. Personally 10/13 on my heifers this year. No creep. 5-6# of 80/20 corn/distillers force fed mineral and crappy grass hay. Ww-yw average about 2# gain. That's one I like to breed

T & B farms said:
I'm going to the 14 day cidr protocol on my heifers this spring. I've talked to several locals that have a lot more experience than me, that's what they suggested. I feed vitaferm mineral, and they are in top condition at breeding. Also, I only keep heifers out of proven cows and most are AI sired. I do just fine on cows, just having some trouble on heifers. They will almost all calve from the first bull service, so that what everyone can't figure out. We'll see how the 14 day protocol does.

I still think placement of semen plays a significant role. With heifers the body of the uterus us very small. If you are not very careful, the rod will easily go into one of the horns. I recognize that recent research has found that is not as detrimental to conceptions as once thought but I still put the semen in the body of the uterus so it can enter both horns.

Till-Hill said:
T & B farms said:
How well are your heifers fed? I custom ai for herd that shows same as you. Cant stick heifers but cows no problem. They creep feed and background their calves for pounds. Heifers weigh 1200-1400 when I breed them. We have tried starving them, keeping on feed, I mean everything in between. Cant get them to stick. Personally 10/13 on my heifers this year. No creep. 5-6# of 80/20 corn/distillers force fed mineral and crappy grass hay. Ww-yw average about 2# gain. That's one I like to breed

I try to develop them just like the experts say. I shoot for 65% of mature weight at breeding. I ran them through on Thursday to pelvic measure and track score. At 9-11 months old, all but 3 were already cycling. All of them passed their pelvic measurements. I have a better feeling about this year, I had enough good heifers this year I was able to be very picky when selecting replacements. They were picked on both their individual preformance, and their dams production record.
I am feeding them 10% fescue hay, 4# of 50/50 cornddg, and free choice concept aid mineral. They weighed 690-840. Do you think I'm pushing them too hard?

Latest posts