SAV Abundance 6117 reg# 18579265

Bruin Torque 5261 reg# 18248293

SAV Resource 1441 reg# 17016597

SAV Reign 6845 reg# 18578962

Buford Pathfinder C304 reg# 18251463

Coleman Charlo 0256 reg# 16879074

SAV Priority 7283 reg# 15688351

Gizmom

Pathfinder and torque are both bulls I have been eyeing. Looking forward to the results.
I bred fall cows to niagera (only 25 fall cows)
And fall heifers to comrade.
Still undecided what to breed the springs too.
I have enough I could use 3 bulls pretty heavily this spring. Both cows and heifers.
Thinking about throwing come capitalist, comrade, or black granite in the heifers. Also fortress is high on my list.
For cows thinking Niagera, Connealy century, Connealy v-eight
I've changed my mind about a dozen times, so who knows

jscunn":3merdfvo said:
Jeanne,
I sold all of the Grandmaster heifers as open yearling heifers, most of them to a very good friend/mentor/customer in Alabama who develops bred heifers and sells them private treaty. He kept a couple of them for himself and seems to be quite happy with them.
He was one of those bulls that the original EPD's were unbelievably great. Well, they were unbelievable because they were waaayyy off. Info came from a small base. Now that he has been used, they are drastically different, but I still like him. His CE sucks, but I have never had a calving problem. Great "show heifers" and great cows.

In our small sample size, gestation was usually 3 to 4 days over Angus sires. (both used on mature cows). I agree growth was average. I saw a bunch of Grandmaster bred heifers that were out of this world good. You could pick them out of a group with their phenotype. That bunch of heifers is why we used him, they were fantastic. We had to protect them on frame a bit, but otherwise thought they were good cattle. I bet the females were really good if they milked.

We used the following:

Rampage Female Sexed
Bismarck Female Sexed
VAR Discovery
Leachman Right Time
Baldridge Command

We also used some eggs by Jindra Acclaim and Raindance.

We also had one calf by Resource just to try him out. She started out pretty brown but is slicking back to black now.

I am going to add Thomas Upriver and Mead Magnitude to my bulls for next year. Upriver is well proven has good growth and +ve rib and rump fats in our EBV's which is becoming desirable as an indication of easy doing. Magnitude is untried but has incredible figures in the US EPD's, top 1% for just about everything though I am sure that will change as he comes back to earth.

Has anyone used or seen progeny from these two bulls?

Ken

Here are a couple of amateur pictures of 2017 calves, hopefully I did a good enough job of photography that you can see why I am using these bulls again.

All In bull Calf born October 13 2017

Black Diamond Heifer born October 10, 2017

Wake up Call Heifer born October 6 2017 (out of a 2yr old Black Diamond daughter)

Wake up Call Heifer born October 12 2017

jscunn":r6zoaekh said:
Here are a couple of amateur pictures of 2017 calves, hopefully I did a good enough job of photography that you can
see why I am using these bulls again.

All In bull Calf born October 13 2017

Black Diamond Heifer born October 10, 2017
Nice cattle.
The All In bull calf's rear legs are way too straight and posty... what were the dam's legs like?

I really like the Black Diamond heifer a lot and yes I can see your photo does her no favors or justice.

Dam's legs are fine, I havent noticed the calf being all that post legged so it might just have been the pose at the time. He doesnt move like a calf that is post legged. I do think the picture certainly shows that however. Something to keep an eye on for sure.

The Black Diamonds have been very good cattle for us. I cant seem to get mixed sex Black Diamonds, 2015 heifers, 2016 bulls, 2017 3 heifers. The one I have pictured is the best one, there is another one that is very good, and the third one is out of a heifer and looks like it right now. She will be fine as soon as we can get them on winter pasture.

The owner is a friend of mine, so I have seen Black Diamond multiple times. He is still the athletic, very correct bull he was the day he was purchased. Interestingly enough he was a -2 CED and a +4.0 BW before data on his calves started coming in. Now he is a +5 CED and a +2.0 BW, WW and YW have gone up alittle (currently +71 WW and +131 YW)

Just bred six last Sat.

Insight on a soon to be 7 yr old
Capitalist 316 on two yearlings and a two yr old
Courage on two yearlings, one out of Capitalist, one Absolute

Latest posts