Fair in less than 5 weeks can't get near the calf

Help Support CattleToday:

kaitlynponygirl

Reaction score
A couple months ago I got a very well behaved steer. The next week my little sister wanted one before the deadline of entry's and so I found one that she could go look at. There were two calls in the pen almost 1 years old (one heifer one steer) me and my dad were already looking for a heifer and they were both $1,000 each we thought great deal and bought them we loved the colors in the heifer and the steer he has this thick Curley hair an supper cute, we got them home and put them in a horse round pen and it was by my steers pen which was electric fence. I had school buy by 10 am I got a call from my mom and she said they got out and it took us 2 day to get them caught over 100 acres of our Neighbors. We separated them between two horse stalls. They are calmer now but I'm worried that I won't be able to get my sisters steer under control before the fair and she still has to pay back the bank for the loan. This heifer has also been attached to my steer and so when I'm walking him she moos and he takes off to her and I have separated them but now they are in the round pen all three of them and the heifer and my sisters steer is scared of me and won't let me touch them and I need to get them handled they are almost 1000 pounds now. And I need big help I'm 115 pounds and I need ideas of how to get their trust and get them to lead before the fair. The heifer had this bad attitude and she hits the steers when they come up to me so she is more of the Alfa of the pack.

Watch the two videos about halter breaking in this thread, http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=79119 . You'll have to get them in a similar size pen. It's been a while since I watched them so I don't remember if this tip is on the video or not. Once you've got the calf standing still with scratching hold the stick in front of them, if they reach out and lick it then you've about got them won over. If they won't reach out, keep scratching until you can.
I've been halter breaking all our calves like this now. No one gets tied until they follow me on the lead. That takes about 3 times of haltering. I've got a 16 month old bull that was broke that way. He wasn't haltered a lot and was turned out 4 months ago. I caught and led him with no problem a couple weeks ago. It seems like they learn to stand still a lot better this way.

You need to separate them. As long as they are together, they are going to buddy up.
I really think that this is something where you are going to have to have an adult help you. Talk to your FFA advisor or 4-H Agent about helping you getting them caught, a halter on them and tied up.
Do you have a friend who can rope?

We have good results using this method - You need to start by getting them into a confined space, preferably a working chute or an alley leading up to one - if you don't have that try to take them somewhere that does for a week or so. Don't catch them in a headgate, just halter them and leave them tied. Close a gate or put a bar behind them so they can't pull back too hard. Scratch, brush, comb and talk to them quietly while they're confined so they can't hurt you or themselves. Do this until they accept it calmly, and don't fight the halter. It may take a couple of days of doing this about two hours at a time two or three times a day (any longer before they get used to it will just get them tired and frustrated and won't do you any good). Then get them tied to the fence and do the same thing over again until they're not scared of you and you're not scared of them - don't worry about leading 'til everyone's calm and comfortable. Use this time to get them used to the show stick, too. Then start by leading them to feed when you're ready to turn them loose. When that's working, start leading them a little farther each time. If you're having trouble with control, try a show halter - the chain helps. Just slip it over the rope halter while they're tied and let 'em get used to it first. I agree that you need someone bigger and stronger and preferably more experienced to help if at all possible. I would try to avoid roping them though, it's just going to get them spooked and make them more difficult to handle. If you can't get them someplace where there's a good place to catch them (alley and/or chute) try to catch them in a corner behind a gate, or maybe you could get (borrow or buy) a couple of sturdy panels you could use. Good luck - hope some of this helps.

Latest posts