facilities setup

Help Support CattleToday:

cattlepower

Reaction score
I've got a nice older heavy duty squeeze chute. But all I have to make a pen and alley way is corral panels, 10 and 12 ft. ones. Can I use just those panels and make it work? I don't know how to secure them to the chute, each other and the ground so cattle can't move them.

I did this before I built my new pens... I used a chain to secure the panels to the chute and T-post on the outside to keep the panels from moving... It worked for me ... You just can't get in a hurry or have crazy cows in them.... If the panels don't connect together with pins you might use heavy wire to keep them together... Good Luck

I've been going through the various options for setting up handling as well. What I have settled on is placing my chute almost to the end of a corner and then welding on some gate or panel hardware to the chute. I'll then use a 12' gate or panel which I will leave attached to the chute to guide my cows into the chute. So two walls and gate guide the cattle into the chute.

This is a similar type of setup to what the breeder I bought my first two Galloways had - actually his chute wasn't even located in a corner. Of course in my case, my first two cows are VERY tame and I don' think I will ever have more than 6 or so breeding cows at any time. So I'm only handling one cow at a time and I expect I will be leader her in with a bucket of grain :)

Will see how it goes. Good luck with your setup.

cattlepower":3mxpbop6 said:
I've got a nice older heavy duty squeeze chute. But all I have to make a pen and alley way is corral panels, 10 and 12 ft. ones. Can I use just those panels and make it work? I don't know how to secure them to the chute, each other and the ground so cattle can't move them.

Personally, I believe I would sink 2 railroad ties that were at least 12' long about 6' deep - concreting them in would also help with the stability. I would then chain my chute to them. As far as the panels, I wouldn't even bother with steel posts, I would use the heavier - I think they are about 6-8" in diameter and 8' long - wooden posts with the points at one end. I would also space them about every 4-5'. Even sturdier would be 12' railroad ties spaced every 6-8'. Put the panels on the inside, and attach with some type of a U-bolt. That way my pen and working chute would be pretty much secure under most circumstances.

This will probably work for more tame cows,but I would put something like canvas or tin on the sides of the alleyway.My experience is if a cow can see an opening she thinks she can get through it.
If the get in the alleyway and they can't turn around or see out the sides the most likely head straight for the chute which is the only opening.Anyhow that's what works for us.
But anyway you look at it if ya get a wild one in there the pannels aint gonna hold no matter what kind of posts or how deep you put them. Best thing with them is to send them packing.

Cal

cattlepower":17auqtig said:
I forgot one important detail. This is only for 1 year and then I got to up and move it all to another location.
That's why you use T-posts and chains to keep them in place

dun":1ss21byo said:
cattlepower":1ss21byo said:
I forgot one important detail. This is only for 1 year and then I got to up and move it all to another location.
That's why you use T-posts and chains to keep them in place

Okay I've heard of that way but never seen it or done it. Got any pictures of this kind setup I could see?

100_0237.jpg

This is looking from the working end towards the entry end. It shows the open middle Bow gate and the closed bow gate at the far end
100_0238.jpg

Hello Dun, sure good to see you still here. I really do think you need to get a few more colors of panels there. You seem to be missing purple and yellow, although I see something yellow up there so that color may be covered. :D

(from a mostly grey weathered wood or rust-finished mono-toned place, although I do have some horse panels painted 70's avocado green from when I was a kid)

Hippie Rancher":4y66f1d8 said:
Hello Dun, sure good to see you still here. I really do think you need to get a few more colors of panels there. You seem to be missing purple and yellow, although I see something yellow up there so that color may be covered. :D

(from a mostly grey weathered wood or rust-finished mono-toned place, although I do have some horse panels painted 70's avocado green from when I was a kid)
I've got some silver ones too. Pretty obvious Idon;t have any color fashion sense

Dun, if I may.

1. Where did you get the chain and how do you have it fastened around the post and panels?

2. I like those bow gates and need to get some but I bet they are dang pricey.

cattlepower":3tavveop said:
Dun, if I may.

1. Where did you get the chain and how do you have it fastened around the post and panels?

They're pricey but since we can;t get a gate post in the ground far enough to hold up a gate they are the only thing that owrks.

I just get the chain at the local farm supply store and cut it into lengths I need. They're just wrapped around the T-post and the panel and fastened together with double ended dog snaps.

dun":2h16x6q0 said:
cattlepower":2h16x6q0 said:
Dun, if I may.

They're pricey but since we can;t get a gate post in the ground far enough to hold up a gate they are the only thing that owrks.

I just get the chain at the local farm supply store and cut it into lengths I need. They're just wrapped around the T-post and the panel and fastened together with double ended dog snaps.

I'm not sure what double ended dog snaps are?

These make it really easy to change things around, only takes a minute to undo a chain if you need to modify things

snap.jpg

Dun,
That looks pretty strong. I did the same thing with T posts every four feet. Of course by accident as the ground was frozen. Necessity dictated my actions there. (improvised) I also ran a hot wire set on five inch extenders on the inside of my crowding lane and corral. Figured that the cows and bull respect the wire around my hay they will respect it there as well. Seemed to work really well when I got the bull up to have him tested by the vet.

I'd hate to crowd cows into a pen with a hot wire on the side. When they go to pushing one another it would be a train wreck.

backhoeboogie":18ysyzn1 said:
I'd hate to crowd cows into a pen with a hot wire on the side. When they go to pushing one another it would be a train wreck.
My thoughts exactly.

Latest posts