F1 question.

Help Support CattleToday:

Arrmstrong01

Reaction score
I run a small herd 20 head my plan is to breed my herefords and Angus to a brahma. Keep the F1 heifers. Once old enough breed the heifers to a charlaois will the charlaois calves loose the ear and naval, being in N.Y. you don't see to many ear cattle this way. Our cows are under cover in winter. This is all just an idea I'm trying to get some insight on. Or am I wasting my time.

Brahma influenced cattle may not winter as well as other breeds.

Caustic Burno will tell you that the F1 tigerstripe mama (Brahma / Hereford) is the queen of south Texas. NY state? Not so much.

Good luck.

WalnutCrest
Even being in a barn they don't do well? I mean I know they are a heat tolerant breed but My little setup is way different than a lot of big places. We have stanchions turn cows out every other day in the winter providing its not snowing and blowing.

What's the market like up there for Brahma influence? Might hurt ya in the long run at the sale barn. I know for example that reds get docked around here and it sure does sting worse when the market is like it is. I'm not in a good place to give you Brah advice since I don't run any over here though!

Best of luck to ya! :mrgreen:

Arrmstrong01":2s7yohfn said:
WalnutCrest
Even being in a barn they don't do well? I mean I know they are a heat tolerant breed but My little setup is way different than a lot of big places. We have stanchions turn cows out every other day in the winter providing its not snowing and blowing.

Why own cattle you need to baby along?

If you don't see many of them in your area, there is a reason! It means someone else has taken the guess work out of it for you. Look at what is popular in your area and what sells well at the barn. Don't reinvent the wheel here!

WalnutCrest":3n3e1ieu said:
Brahma influenced cattle may not winter as well as other breeds.

Caustic Burno will tell you that the F1 tigerstripe mama (Brahma / Hereford) is the queen of south Texas. NY state? Not so much.

Good luck.

Yep and you are looking at a train wreck breeding a Brahman bull to English cattle birth weights are increased in bull calves.
You do it the other way around English bull over Brahman cattle BW is decreased.
Secondly Brimmers in NY is crazy maybe a 1/4 or an 1/8 you could get away with.
Start at page 9
http://oaktrust.library.tamu.edu/bitstr ... sequence=2

Well I've definitely learned a lot folks thank you for the information I'm sure I will have other questions. The bull at the top is the sire to this heifer I bought her off a guy couple towns over he was running that bull on hereford, highlanders x herfs, Holstein brahma cross, couple Angus. I mean since I've bought her I've done a lot of reading on them but just found this site a week ago and registered last night. Figure this is where I'm gonna learn the best info from people that have the experience.

I love Brahman and Brahman cross cattle, but I stop myself at 3/8 and 1/4. I'm in Ky, and my temps could probably handle some more, but my market can't.

Arrmstrong01":2hbnavqj said:
This is all just an idea I'm trying to get some insight on.
Or am I wasting my time.
Waste of time.
Missed your question on first reading due to innovative idea of using a period for a question mark.
Which also makes as much sense as Brahman in New York.

The closest I found to this cross is the Charolais x Beef Master

Texan":341l60i6 said:
I would also vote for the Charolais bull for a terminal sire on Beefmaster cows. Try to stay away from the painted Beefmasters, though. You'll get enough painted calves, anyway.

100_0171.jpg

100_0197.jpg

But why? Brahman are good down south, but not on the north where their heat toleance is not need it

gaurus":1gsljg8x said:
But why? Brahman are good down south, but not on the north where their heat toleance is not need it
That's not the reason. More like they have the least cold tolerance, high maintenance and high inputs.

First of all... run what ever your happy looking at every day. On 20 head... if they dock you... its probably not going to make you go belly up. You can do the math and see what it will cost you at the end of the day.

I agree with CB that F1s probably aren't necessary in your area. Brangus, Beefmaster, Braford, ect all carry a lot of the benefits of Brahman influence. You put a Hereford bull on Braford cattle or an Angus bull on Brangus cows and your Brahman influence with be very little. You can kind of have the best of both worlds.

I'll try to get some pics of calves from Brangus X Angus. Im weaning some right now. They show little to no Brahman influence IMO.

You may want to read this:
Mortality and Cold Tolerance of Calves with Different Ratios of Bos indicus to Bos taurus Inheritance
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewc ... skareports

The results are that 50% Boss indicus F1 replacement dams have a higher mortality rate as calves, but that 75% Bos taurus(like your terminal cross you are trying to achieve) have about the same mortality rate in cold weather than 100% Bos taurus calves.

Other studies shows that F1 Brahman steers showed very good weight gain in feedlot
Brahman Crossbred Performance in Distinct Segments of the United States Beef Industry
http://www.bifconference.com/bif2012/pr ... 3Riley.pdf

Muddy":3qokdw1i said:
gaurus":3qokdw1i said:
That's not the reason. More like they have the least cold tolerance, high maintenance and high inputs.
That's somewhat of a misnomer. Brahman handle cold much better than most folks think. They can grow long hair with a short wool underneath it, still have the thicker skin and can put on fat.

Latest posts