F-350 Dually or Single Rear Wheel

Help Support CattleToday:

sedrick_hall

Reaction score
I have been looking at the Ford F-350, what are the big differences between the F350 single rear wheel and the dually? If I bought the F350 single real wheel would I be buying a beefed up F250? Comments.

This from the ford truck site. http://www.ford-trucks.com

"There is little difference between the SRW F-250 and the SRW F-350. If you look on the towing guide they don't even separate them, they just say SRW F-250/350. The only difference (besides badging) is the F-250 uses 2 inch blocks between the rear axle and the springs, the F-350 uses 4 inch blocks. Also, the F-350 uses a different axle shaft (higher spline count) which is why it will haul more weight."

Sorry, no help here. Way too new for me.

Uncle D noted a difference in spline counts on the axle shafts. Higher spline count = larger diameter shafts = a good thing.

cfpinz

I like the duel wheels for pulling a trailer and heavy loads. The duel keeps it from swaying on the road with out over inflating the tires. Also you can run one tire flat until you get into the shop.

really the only difference is that the duals will carry more. the chassis are prtty much the sme. brakes springs etc. ins is higher on the dually. as are tires. besides buyin 2 more theyre more money as well. and lottsa people knock the fenders off and then yer truck looks lousy and theyre high to replace and paint

but 4 wd duallys sure look cool!

dieselbeef":16mjygmx said:
really the only difference is that the duals will carry more. the chassis are prtty much the sme. brakes springs etc.

Wrong. I have two F350s in the driveway, a 97 SRW and a 96 DRW (c/c truck), there is a whale of a difference in the chassis, axles, brakes, springs and more. The srw has 5 springs per side and the drw has 15, a slight difference, the drw also has a narrower frame and quite a bit of bracing from the factory. I looked into converting a srw ton into a dually but it's not worth it if you do it right.

cfpinz

Unless you need the additional GVWR or are towing full time, I'd go with the single wheel. Less tires to buy and go flat, better traction in mud, easier to park, and slight possible increase in fuel economy.

If you arre in Snow country the dually is not as good as a single axle F350
depends on your application

I prefer the dually. There are several reasons and some have already been mentioned. When I put that Caterpillar on a flat bed and head out across the pasture pulling, the dual is much better.

If you cross a small chug hole, you don't much notice it with the dually when the back goes over it.

Even when empty, the dually seems to control better. It is almost like having outriggers when you corner.

The 3/4 can pull loads for me. It is easier to park. Other than that, I want to drive the dually.

I have a 2007 Chevy Dually, and there are definitely pros and cons to owning a dually. The pros, pulling loads is so much nicer, no swaying, and its nice to have 4 tires back there instead of just 2, in case you get a flat or something you can still get somewhere to fix it. The cons, the duallys get worse fuel economy, don't perform as well in mud and snow and ice, and you can't park them hardly anywhere when you go to town. If you are going to be towing mostly, the dually is probably the way to go, but you might consider if you live in snowy mountains or muddy areas to just get the SRW. I pull a trailer a lot, either a 20 foot horse trailer or a hay trailer, but as I look back I probably wouldn't buy another dually just because of the area we live. Way too much snow for a dually. And your wife will HATE driving it.

Latest posts