Eye Opener

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
About an hour ago I stepped out of my truck and into a flock of turkeys who were laying low about 10 feet from my truck. When I exited the truck the burst loose and went ballistic. About 30 of them ranging from mature to chicken sized. Talk about an eye opener.

I was walking around a clients corn field this morning when about twenty feet in I jumped something....
never saw it but assume it was a group of deer....I yelled just in case it was a bear and whatever it was thrashed off through the corn a ways and stopped

this time of year I am always on the lookout for snakes and trying to check the stuff I am there to check....

needless to say my heart and anal sphincter both passed the safety check.

They had a turkey trap at my granddaddy's when I was a kid. It was made out of cedar staves. They work like quail traps only bigger. I could crawl in the throat of it. Grandaddy kept telling me to stay out of it. I would sneak in and I suppose I left tracks. Pretty cool fort and I could peak out thru the staves. I crawled in it one morning and there were 3 turkeys in it. They nearly beat me to death. My uncles didn't flip the trap over until after they had pegged the turkeys thru the staves. I never went in that trap again.

I wish we had more turkey flocks here, there a few around the northwest but not many.

Turkeys aren't a eye opener they are a pulse expediter lol They scare the crap out of you. When hunting and driving dogs in the woods they jump up and scare the out of you.

I love seeing turkeys and am always amazed at how such a big bird can get so much altitude so quickly.

I kicked up some quail the other day & 'bout jumped out of my skin. We've had so many turkeys the past few years they hang with the cattle in fall/winter & they completely surround the deer feeders, almost as if they know when the timer will go off.

Jogeephus":2t1l7g9a said:
About an hour ago I stepped out of my truck and into a flock of turkeys who were laying low about 10 feet from my truck. When I exited the truck the burst loose and went ballistic. About 30 of them ranging from mature to chicken sized. Talk about an eye opener.

I know the feeling just yesterday I was riding through some thick brush along the creek and ran upon an old sow with about a dozen suckling pigs. Glad I was on the 4 wheeler.

Calman":2rbusr88 said:
Jogeephus":2rbusr88 said:

I know the feeling just yesterday I was riding through some thick brush along the creek and ran upon an old sow with about a dozen suckling pigs. Glad I was on the 4 wheeler.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I had that happen to me a few years ago only I was on foot. The pigs squealed and mama came running to their defense and all I had between me and her was a pulpwood tree and a paint gun in my hand. We went round and round the tree and with each step she got a dose of paint in her face till she had had enough and went off. Not a good morning for me. Think it was a Monday.

Bigfoot":2xs5sen1 said:
Imagine riding a colt through em.

:lol2: :nod:

Back in the day, I was working with/training a young Appaloosa. Took him out for some trail work. Came across a field FULL of Canada Geese. Must have been a couple of hundred or more. No sooner had I spotted them, they spotted us. That boy dropped almost to the ground, and did a sideways shuffle that would have made Fred Astaire jealous!! :lol2: :lol2: Yes, I managed to stay on.

SJB":1jms9k0o said:
Grouse are the worst. Dumb things let you walk right up on them then take off like a huey helicopter

What you say makes me feel better. I'm not familiar with them and only have hunted them once and only got a chance to shoot at one. Unfortunately for both of us he held his ground to the last moment then went up scaring me to death and I squeezed the trigger about the time he was four inches from the end of the barrel.

I once walked up on a turkey hen sitting on her nest. she exploded out of there about six feet from me....people behind me said I jumped nearly as high as she did....

did get a neat photo of the nest

Was quail hunting once and you know how they do. Had a covey bust out nearly between my legs. Needles to say I had to clean my pants out. Did get a shot off at one that was about 3 feet from the end of the barrel. Nothing left but beak and toenails. Can't imagine what a flock of turkeys would do to my heart.

I was turkey hunting one day by myself and just missed a good gobbler. I just feathered him and was really mad at myself. I walked around where he stood not paying enough attention when all the sudden I heard a rattle. I stopped dead in my tracks and commenced to swallow back down my throat. :eek: Looked down and luckily it was a king snake rattling his tail in the dry leaves but there for a minute I thought I was sure enough going to get bit.

Jogeephus":167wkbjk said:

I had that happen to me at night once. I was pretty sure I had startled a few helicopters off the ground till I got my wits about me.

Latest posts