Explain to me

Help Support CattleToday:

CUZ

Reaction score
I see your ad in Cattle Today. I come over to your place and buy your old tractor. You sold it to me and I bought your tractor.

I see your ad in Cattle Today. I come over to your place and buy six cows. For some reason I haven't just bought cows, I have bought Private Treaty cows.

Where did this term come from? Does it carry more meaning than I''m understanding? Does it only apply if you have at least 1/16th Indian Blood and I'm a white man? Do all cow sales between individuals (not at a sale barn or an auction) qualify as Private Treaty sales? Do only sales in the West qualify as Private Treaty sales? Do you have to move to a spot of my choosing after we finalize our Private Treaty or just the cows have to move? Why did you ad say you were selling cows Private Treaty but not that you were selling the tractor Private Treaty?

I'm sure somebody on here can explain this to me.
Thanks for your info.

Cuz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I see your ad in Cattle Today. I come over to your place and buy your old tractor. You sold it to me and I bought your tractor.

I see your ad in Cattle Today. I come over to your place and buy six cows. For some reason I haven't just bought cows, I have bought Private Treaty cows.

Where did this term come from? Does it carry more meaning than I''m understanding? Does it only apply if you have at least 1/16th Indian Blood and I'm a white man? Do all cow sales between individuals (not at a sale barn or an auction) qualify as Private Treaty sales? Do only sales in the West qualify as Private Treaty sales? Do you have to move to a spot of my choosing after we finalize our Private Treaty or just the cows have to move? Why did you ad say you were selling cows Private Treaty but not that you were selling the tractor Private Treaty?

YOu bought the tractor Private Treaty as well.

Private treaty is a sale from one individual to another without a middle man (generally). Anything that is sold at an agreed upon price is a private treaty sale, doesn;t matter if it's a cow or an automobile factory.

dun

Thanks Dun.

Okay, so Private Treaty is just a sale from one individual to another? But the Cattle business is the only place I ever see the term, so where does the term come from and why don't I see it in the ads for other things?

Thanks
Cuz

CUZ":c00aofw5 said:
Thanks Dun.

Okay, so Private Treaty is just a sale from one individual to another? But the Cattle business is the only place I ever see the term, so where does the term come from and why don't I see it in the ads for other things?

Thanks
Cuz

We use the term Private Treaty when selling horses. Except we'll post the words "Private Treaty" instead of the asking price. So its kind of like you price them according to how well you like the potential buyer! lol

CUZ":32lr28sm said:
Thanks Dun.

Thanks
Cuz

I think it may be because the majority of cattle are sold at auction of one form or another which is the opposite of private treaty. I did a quicky search for private treaty and found listings for a engine plant, bottleing equipment, horses, cattle, and real estate. It's similar to the use bi-annual or twice a year. One term is just more frequentl used.

Noun 1. private treaty - a sale of property at a price agreed on by the seller and buyer without an intervening agency

This is from an online dictionary.

CUZ":38qm1ret said:
For some reason I haven't just bought cows, I have bought Private Treaty cows.

Cuz

Private = between 2 people, not for public knowledge unless one of the parties chooses to advertise it. Treaty = negotiated price, as opposed to multiple people bidding. Hence, Private Treaty = 2 people negotiating on the price of said animals.

When I read the words "private treaty" instead of the price, the first thing that comes to mind is they want too much for it.

Alan

Went to one last year that kind of confused me till I got there. It was a Private Treaty Auction.

Difference was they did not have an auctioneer they just posted the prices on a big grease board, if you wanted to bid on one you went and told the owner your bid price and then he would change the grease board. Guess it would be the same as a Silent Auction like some Charities have.

You had till closing time that day to bid. No Auctioneer service like many of the big sales have, so nobody else with their hand in the cookie jar.

aplusmnt":104jre3c said:
Went to one last year that kind of confused me till I got there. It was a Private Treaty Auction.

Difference was they did not have an auctioneer they just posted the prices on a big grease board, if you wanted to bid on one you went and told the owner your bid price and then he would change the grease board. Guess it would be the same as a Silent Auction like some Charities have.

You had till closing time that day to bid. No Auctioneer service like many of the big sales have, so nobody else with their hand in the cookie jar.

I've been to quite a few sales like that, kinda like 'em. It's easier to see who's bidding on what. And if you have your eye on a cow in the end of the sale, you can tell if she's going over your price range and look at others ahead of her. At a regular auction I usually wind up "holding out" for the same lot everybody else likes, never fails.

cfpinz

cfpinz":32rq4ooz said:
aplusmnt":32rq4ooz said:

I've been to quite a few sales like that, kinda like 'em. It's easier to see who's bidding on what. And if you have your eye on a cow in the end of the sale, you can tell if she's going over your price range and look at others ahead of her. At a regular auction I usually wind up "holding out" for the same lot everybody else likes, never fails.

cfpinz

Yea I liked it also! I am like you, every time I hold out for a cow, it is way out of my price range. And it never fails the other 5 I liked were before her.

sidney411":h61qdrgb said:
I've never seen a cattle auction like that, must be for registered stock?

The ones I've been to were for registered animals. I enjoyed them, slower paced, like me.

cfpinz

sidney411":23ao0thz said:
I've never seen a cattle auction like that, must be for registered stock?

The one I went to was for Show Calves, and they had a few registered heifers but mostly show animals, I doubt anyone would have this type of auction just for commercial cows.