Explain the difference

Help Support CattleToday:

Andyva

Reaction score
When I look up market reports, I see, for instance, steers 1, steers 2, heifers 1 and heifers 2. What is the difference in 1 and 2? I have seen instances where the 2s brought more money than the 1s on some weights, but not very often. What does it take to make a 2, is that a bony calf or an off colored or red calf?

Cattle are graded on 3 frame sizes ( L, M and S) and 3 muscle thickness(1,2 and 3). When I was running stockers I wanted #2 calves because I could buy more frame and less fat and then they would gain very well on good grass and grain.

So it's a thickness grade? That makes sense, the ones I have seen bring more are the 4 and 5 weights in the 2s. In October, but not now. Get up in the 6 and 7 weights and they start bringing less it seems like.

I have great respect for the quick eye and judgment of order buyers. I have weighed and graded (especially lambs) prior to sales and they nail them every time. It is just as easy to raise what folks want and what brings the most return as raising 2nd best or rejects.

Latest posts