Experimental shorthorn poll!

Help Support CattleToday:

Keep or sell?

• Keep the pair (please post what you would do)

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Sell the pair

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Ok guys.

Our schedules collided and I didn't get the pair sold Friday. No fault of either party.
But. I took an extra day off work to make it happen. Not interested in doing that again for a lil while. And my evenings and weekends are pretty tight going into winter! As an aside, my neighbor and good friend got word of this pair. And they have 2 boys and they show some horseys. They may be interested in this pair as well. NO DECISION YET FROM ME.

Please expound on what you would have me do, my friends.....

20220911_192100.jpg

You were already told by your buyers you priced them too low. If it was me I would relist them for sale at $2500 and then go buy yourself a few new projects like the shorthorns and do Murray things. I wouldn't buy right away as you've been trying to downsize your herd to keep enough feed for what you downsize to. The real question to me is, how many sales that you've gone tohave you seen project cattle that you'd like to take a chance on and pass as you have too many projects and not enough feed at the time of the sale. I'm going to go out on a limb and say probably about every one of them

How about a different plan. Sell the pair and buy as many Jersey nurse cows and 2 calves for each of them that you can. That'd probably be a money maker for you.

Sell the calf to your friend's kiddo at weaning-let them come over and work with the calf until then to halter break so you don't have to😉. AI the cow to a red shorthorn or breed to BS and see what happens-unless you need them both gone due to drought, then price them higher

Last edited:
I voted sell, especially if you can get that price or better. But if kept her, i would sell the heifer to the 4h kids, then let the hereford in. Just cause i would wana see that color. Then probably eat the resulting calf as it probably be pretty chromed up.lol

Do you have enough feed for winter?
How much profit will you make?
She seems to be a good cow.
We bought a lot of good young cows for a good price while the drought was getting severe this year, planning on selling next spring if the prices are up.
Good cows are hard to move, but if the price goes way up I'm going to have the same decision to make.
I would keep her.

Do you have enough feed for winter?
How much profit will you make?
She seems to be a good cow.
We bought a lot of good young cows for a good price while the drought was getting severe this year, planning on selling next spring if the prices are up.
Good cows are hard to move, but if the price goes way up I'm going to have the same decision to make.
I would keep her.
Feed and hay are gonna be tight.
I've almost made up my mind to sell the other colorful pairs over there before end of December. But if I can hold til January that'll help my tax situation! Shes a perfect cow aside from age and color (for me)
Comes to feed.
Well mannered.
Good mama.
Etc

As an aside, I bought a black 7x8 saturday for for song. So now I have an extra there. 🤣
20220924_161141.jpg
No name. Made a tag #201 but couldn't get her tagged in the trailer. Too stirred up!
For now I'll call her stickers...
You've never said if you've checked her mouth.
I have not.
But they did it again this Saturday. Young bull came in that I/neighbor were VERY interested in. Never even looked in his mouth. Just called him 2 yrs all Willie Nillie. He came in with the cow I bought above. Several cows actually
Here's a pic. He would've done the job for my neighbor. I was very tempted to use him myself this fall. He weighed just under 1000 and brought like 900 bucks.
Slovenly vet work is a pet peeve...
Strange coincidence that the vet is the one that bought him. Told me he would have to have a trich test. And they don't do that at this barn.

20220924_125840.jpg

Last edited:
I've almost made up my mind to sell the other colorful pairs over there before end of December. But if I can hold til January that'll help my tax situation! Shes a perfect cow aside from age and color (for me)
Comes to feed.
Well mannered.
Good mama.
Etc

As an aside, I bought a black 7x8 saturday for for song. So now I have an extra there. 🤣
View attachment 21539
No name. Made a tag #201 but couldn't get her tagged in the trailer. Too stirred up!

I have not.
But they did it again this Saturday. Young bull came in that I/neighbor were VERY interested in. Never even looked in his mouth. Just called him 2 yrs all Willie Nillie. He came in with the cow I bought above. Several cows actually
Here's a pic. He would've done the job for my neighbor. I was very tempted to use him myself this fall. He weighed just under 1000 and brought like 900 bucks.
Strange coincidence that the vet is the one that bought him. Told me he would have to have a trich test. And they don't do that at this barn.

View attachment 21540
Conformation wise he looks very good.

I doubt he's two. Not a coincidence at all, IMO.

Sale barn lesson: If the vet is bidding on something it might be worth bidding.

Ok guys.

Our schedules collided and I didn't get the pair sold Friday. No fault of either party.
But. I took an extra day off work to make it happen. Not interested in doing that again for a lil while. And my evenings and weekends are pretty tight going into winter! As an aside, my neighbor and good friend got word of this pair. And they have 2 boys and they show some horseys. They may be interested in this pair as well. NO DECISION YET FROM ME.

Please expound on what you would have me do, my friends.....

View attachment 21506
Send that pair to me immediately for safe keeping and the breeding to a red shorthorn bull.

Comes to feed.
Well mannered.
Good mama.
Etc

View attachment 21539

I have not.

View attachment 21540
For $900 I would have bought him and had him tested.
Just bought one almost identical, but a little heavier for more $.
The barn tested him and he was good on everything.

If he's a str when he leaves the barn he wouldn't have to be tested. At that cheap I bet he ends up in a feed lot.

Latest posts