Experience with Broadcasting Rye Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Robert1617

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with broadcasting rye grass over pasture and the success of getting a good stand? Do you need to use a drag harrow over it after broadcasting? Fertilizer? How tall should it before cattle get on it? Any other advice would be appreciated.

I have never been happy just broadcasting rye like that for cattle use unless it is pretty bare, loose soil... even then I wasn't really happy. The birds, especially turkey go to town on it if you leave it exposed.

Preferably I rough it up with a disk a little then broadcast it or drill it in. It doesn't take much of a drag... cattle panel or some thing... to bury the seed after broadcasting it on disked soil.

Very good luck with shortened grass broadcasting. Tried lightly discing with no noticeable difference. Works best right before a good rain.

I sling out plenty every year. As long as it doesn't get hot and dry. But You will get much better success drilling or lightly disking. Responds well to fertilizer in the spring. Which is when it really gives you it's best. Early spring.

The best luck I have had it, was just broadcasting. I always wait for a rain.

I broad cast it on heavily grazed down grass, but if a good heavy rain falls, it will beat the seed down to the soil in higher grass too. I've slung a bunch of it out while it was raining too--been my best stands as long as it also rained a week later after germination. Worst scenario is broadcasting before a rain, the rain does come, it germinates, then gets no more rain for several weeks. Bad juju there.

I broadcast then lightly disc works fine for me... As was mentioned that stuff can grow anywhere so can oats here is some from when I broadcasted them a few weeks ago.

IMG_20161022_144235626_zpsb5wwk8dt.jpg

IMG_20161022_144233018_zpsndzpjcwa.jpg

Latest posts