Exit Velocity?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
I see where the Florida Bull Test is measuring this when they run bulls through the chute.

Because (I suppose) this practice is correlated to a bulls disposition will the buyers really care?

I think sometimes these University Professors sit around dreaming up ways to measure traits.

That whole deal has been examined to death starting probably 10 years ago or so. There may be something to it, but just to prove that there are alwasy exceptions, we have a heifer calf that is wild as a hare and goes totally nuts in the pasture if you even look straight at her. When we worked calves a couple of weeks ago, she walked up the alley and into the chute, when we let her out she calm;y walked out till she was about 20 feet from it, then went toally nuts crashing into the catch pen and plowing through all of the others that were standing around.
Research may be all well and good, but it sure isn;t going to prove anything to me as an absolute.
BTW, her facial whorl is perfectly located according the the studys to be a very calm easy going animal.

dun

Jake":6mfjbuph said:
last I herd it can correlate to their gain ability on feed or in the feedlot.

Absolutely more docile animals gain better. Every time. That is one of my main criteria when choosing a bull to go on test.

But is the data taken in the Bull Evaluation going to create more demand for the "more docile" animals?

They already have rules that "Temperamental" bulls will be sent home, will not finish the test, and not allowed in the sale.

Don't know how this relates,but where I work gives prizes for high IPMs(Items Per Minet(sp) )How fast you can run grocerys over the scanner..Have yet to figgure out how that gets a happy customer to their car any quicker,as usually the checker has no bagger,so takes the same ammount of time.....Oh well,gives the guys in charge something else to mesure! :lol:

There's always an animal that doesn't read that research. Ergo, there can never be an absolute.

Alice

Ratfish":9j24txpi said:
dun: how old is that calf and what breed(s) is it?

6 months 3/4 Angus 1/4 Polled Hereford. Doesn;t have anything to do with the breeds or breeding, she just has a screw loose. Other calves by the same bull have been calm and the others this year are calm. The cows calf from last year was so calm as to be almost a zombie.

dun

Most of my cattle back up when I loose 'em from the head catch. That must make 'em real docile. That's a good selling point. :D

LaneFarms":pswvmvaw said:
MikeC do you have bulls on the florida test?

Not this year. Kinda wish I had some though. It's a pretty good program they have.

ga. prime":27gvbif8 said:
Most of my cattle back up when I loose 'em from the head catch. That must make 'em real docile. That's a good selling point. :D

Mine lay down, so they must be worth twice as much :lol:

I have two Pinzgauer bulls in the Florida Bull Test. Whether they back up in the chute makes no difference. The timer starts after they leave the chute and stops 6 feet later. I thought it was interesting. My bulls are very simular 11 days difference in age, same sire, brought up in same pasture, weaned same day yet one was almost twice as fast as the other. I dont think it will be a selling factor but will wait and see. There was quite a difference between all animals ranging from 2.421 to 0.570 I had the impression that they were trying it but didn't know exactly what the numbers meant.

paul swisher":3fyvupu1 said:
I have two Pinzgauer bulls in the Florida Bull Test. Whether they back up in the chute makes no difference. The timer starts after they leave the chute and stops 6 feet later. I thought it was interesting. My bulls are very simular 11 days difference in age, same sire, brought up in same pasture, weaned same day yet one was almost twice as fast as the other. I dont think it will be a selling factor but will wait and see. There was quite a difference between all animals ranging from 2.421 to 0.570 I had the impression that they were trying it but didn't know exactly what the numbers meant.

Paul, I hope your bulls do well on test and sell good as well. The reference I made about the exit velocities was not meant to be demeaning but was just wondering if it is worth the effort.

I was very impressed at the crowd attending the sale when I had bulls there.

Don't see many Pinz on test around these parts. It will be interesting to watch the results.
Good Luck.

Black Angus 100%":3cghk0va said:
MikeC":3cghk0va said:
LaneFarms":3cghk0va said:
MikeC do you have bulls on the florida test?

Not this year. Kinda wish I had some though. It's a pretty good program they have.
Virginia Bull Test is a pretty good test as well. Will be enrolling my Angus bulls on it.

Of course the best way to test a bull is to feed his calves and retain ownership on them, but these "Eating Contests" are a pretty good way to market young bulls.

How many will you be sending?

They data on the heifers we retained ownership on through the feedlot had a score for clamness, don;t recall what they called it. I don;t know how they arrived at the scores either. Of the 2 heifers we had in the droup, one was a 1 very calm and the other was a 3 on a scale of 1-5. The 3 heifer had a higher ADG, higher finished weight, lower yeild grade, and a slightly higher quality grade. I'm still trying to figure out if their assesment has any real world value, I would assume they do or they wouldn;t score them.

dun

dun":7aqu9gtj said:
They data on the heifers we retained ownership on through the feedlot had a score for clamness, don;t recall what they called it. I don;t know how they arrived at the scores either. Of the 2 heifers we had in the droup, one was a 1 very calm and the other was a 3 on a scale of 1-5. The 3 heifer had a higher ADG, higher finished weight, lower yeild grade, and a slightly higher quality grade. I'm still trying to figure out if their assesment has any real world value, I would assume they do or they wouldn;t score them.

dun

I'm convinced that good dispositions are highly correlated to better gain just as I am "ABSOLUTELY" convinced
that dark cutters are a consequence of bad dispositions.

What I am not so sure about is the present methods of predicting nor do I know the "Heritability" aspects of good/bad temperaments.

When I wean I try to analyze the different sire groups for many traits and cannot for the life of me pinpoint the difference in genetic disposition problems even though I know there are some.

Hope this makes sense. :roll:

Latest posts