Exit Velocity?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":b4mx14vi said:
dun":b4mx14vi said:
They data on the heifers we retained ownership on through the feedlot had a score for clamness, don;t recall what they called it. I don;t know how they arrived at the scores either. Of the 2 heifers we had in the droup, one was a 1 very calm and the other was a 3 on a scale of 1-5. The 3 heifer had a higher ADG, higher finished weight, lower yeild grade, and a slightly higher quality grade. I'm still trying to figure out if their assesment has any real world value, I would assume they do or they wouldn;t score them.

dun

I'm convinced that good dispositions are highly correlated to better gain just as I am "ABSOLUTELY" convinced
that dark cutters are a consequence of bad dispositions.

What I am not so sure about is the present methods of predicting nor do I know the "Heritability" aspects of good/bad temperaments.

When I wean I try to analyze the different sire groups for many traits and cannot for the life of me pinpoint the difference in genetic disposition problems even though I know there are some.

Hope this makes sense. :roll:

Those 2 heifers here and at the backgrounders were never flighty or eexcitable. I just wonder if the evaluation is made as the go through the chute and it doesn;t really have any great significance.
I've tried to predict based on the sires and dams which calves would be calmest. I've never seen a correlation. The wildest luny we have now is out of a very calm cow and the other calves by the same bull are really laid back. The calmest easiest going calf we have is out of the cow that I used to have to carry the .357 for. I'm sure it's heritable, but there may be other things that have to kick in to make the variations obvious enough to see.

dun

Disposition is an interesting trait. We've got an 878 cow with a Krugerrand bull calf born early this week. She's always been very calm and that calf will come right up to me. There's also a Krugerrand cow with a Foreman bull calf about a week older out there. She's always been a bit spooky and so is this calf. But her Foreman heifer last fall was calm and would come right up to me. In fact I posted a pic of her trying to smell of the camera. I do think cam cattle can be ruined by mishandling, but I'm not so sure wild cattle can be calmed by careful handling.

Take EXT for example. Some folks I talk to won't have anything to do with them because they are supposed to be foolish.

Others say they have had no problems whatsoever. Period.

If we had a scientific way to measure these traits we would know for sure. But I don't know if "Exit Velocities" are the proper method.

But then again we are trying to figure out what causes some people to become criminals and mass murderers.

Might be a riddle that is never solved.

Black Angus 100%":2lgufgat said:
Virginia Bull Test is a pretty good test as well. Will be enrolling my Angus bulls on it.
BA100%, how many bulls will you be putting on the Virginia Test?

Latest posts