Excess Licking

Help Support CattleToday:

sometimes nervous-sometimes the forepaw itches or tingles,so the dog licks it--Dobermans have been known to lick the flank.....so I'm told

I don't know what is going on with Maggie Mae, she licks and licks...her belly her feet, her legs, her whistle... There is one spot on her hind leg where she has a spot "worn" thought about putting some vet wrap on it. I guess it might be a good idea to get her to the vet for a check up. She is due for some vacs anyway.

I've got one that seem highly alergic to fleas. Just a few will cause the same symptoms you mention. Doesn't help that she is a very hyper dog either.

Could be contact allergies-good thing to take him/her to the vet--a good wash with Dawn dishwashing soap might help-ask the vet..

We had one that needed a cortisone shot every summer, would get "hot spots" and not leave them alone even when they became raw. This was from allergies. A lab/bloodhound we have now, before we got her lived in an apartment and was locked in the bathroom hours on end while they were at work/school. She developed a neurotic licking habit and had bald purple places on both forelegs. It took about 2 years but she got over it. She gets enough exercise and attention now.

If it came on all at once, it's probably an allergy and the vet can help.

Just remembered, last summer a friend's 3 dogs came down with some skin irritation that had them all scratching and licking themselves to death. No fleas, never did figure out exactly what caused it, but part of the treatment prescribed by the vet was a bath in dandruff shampoo and to let it soak on them for a few minutes. Can't remember if it was Head n Shoulders or a certain brand, I'll try to find out tomorrow. But it worked!

MO_cows":3mcyfth9 said:
Just remembered, last summer a friend's 3 dogs came down with some skin irritation that had them all scratching and licking themselves to death. No fleas, never did figure out exactly what caused it, but part of the treatment prescribed by the vet was a bath in dandruff shampoo and to let it soak on them for a few minutes. Can't remember if it was Head n Shoulders or a certain brand, I'll try to find out tomorrow. But it worked!
I use a povidine (sp?) shampoo for the cows but I am out of it right now, was thinking of giving her a bath with that stuff to see if it would help.

Ask your vet what to use. You might make it worse with the wrong(Dawn) stuff.

No offense to Peg but that stuff is pretty harsh, the only thing I would use it on an animal for is to remove oil or grease. Dawn contains some very strong surfactants.

Yeah,I know-only reason I said that was I poisoned one of my cats with Hartz Mountan flea drop on--When I got in from work she was sprawled on the floor eyes dialated,head bobbing,unable to walk--Yes I know--VET Time-but absolutely broke then--threw her in the sink,scrubbed her down with Dawn which broke down the oil that carred it. Still got the cat 7 years later,but we only use Frontline now..
Dawn's real good on oil/grease tho

I use lemon Joy dishwashing soap on my cows. But at the shows and after I use the medicated antifungal shampoo, I think it is povidine....started doing that cuz of picking up ring worm. Anyway Daughters dog had a rash on her belly and I had her bathe the dog with it (lable says okay for dogs too) and it cleared it up. Maggie doesn't have any visible rashes just the one spot on her rear leg so that is why I mentioned the povidine shampoo. I will be calling the vet to have her checked out. Busy busy week here this week....

Licking is often contributed to diet--- Corn, soy and wheat cause alot of food allergies. Read your first 4 ingredients in your food--- Not ALL dogs, but alot !!! :tiphat:

talldog":3le9vr6p said:
Licking is often contributed to diet--- Corn, soy and wheat cause alot of food allergies. Read your first 4 ingredients in your food--- Not ALL dogs, but alot !!! :tiphat:
Oh boy, I may be in trouble here. She likes to get into the cattle's grain....corn, oats, etc.....

Lexi has to get a cortisone shot every summer or all the hair falls off her butt from licking it. I swear, it's green grass that does it. And she's so low to the ground that her belly drags and she gets rashes there. I also give her half a benadryl every day in summer. She doesn't tolerate flease well, either. I have used dandruff shampoo on her in winter. I also use anything with coal tar in it. Seems to make it better but she smells bad afterward...

Latest posts