Everything is bigger in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Oh wow! How cool is that! And it's helping control those blasted mosquitos!

We have lots and lots of barn spiders around here with their webs hanging off the house and the porches and spread across doorways...they're everywhere. At least once a day I'm wiping spider webs off my face or dragging them out of my hair.

Personally, I like spiders...and I leave them alone to do their part with bug control. And their webs are sooooo cool to look at...and I love watching the spider spin the web or wrap up a caught bug :)

Thanks for the link.

Alice

Look at this baby. We're only about a mile away from Texas, maybe it blew in....
SSL10410_edited-1.jpg

That's my 13 yo son's finger. That's as close as he'd get.

I love orb spiders.

That is the kind we have around here. I too have to clean the webs out of my hair regularly. The lady who previously lived here said she killed everyone she saw. I also prefer to leave them as they are a benefit.

If you touch their back they will start bouncing their web. Neat.

What I don't like are the black widows. I find them weekly, sometimes daily. Those get killed and then I spray that area if I can.

We have those around our place too. I didn't go out to the place for about two weeks and I had to kill about 30 of them that size around the barn and another 20 by the pens. Nasty little creatures

fourstates - those are commonly called garden spiders and they are great to have around. They are somewhat intimidating, but fun to watch. Catch a grasshopper and toss into the web and watch how fast the spider wraps him up. Also some people are taking their webs and painting them and mounting them. They then sell them to tourists, etc. The spiders are really good to have around, they just look scary.

I really like to watch them, too. My kids like to feed them. We never kill them and protect their egg balls. They eat alotta bugs. I will kill a black widow in any area I work. They are very common here also.

I heard on the news the species of spiders that built the monster web was called the "long jawed orb spider".

There's also a type of spider I call a "night spider", builds a long elaborate web during the night, and it's gone in the morning. I don't like going thru those webs. They are also a good sized spider.

show steer up":1x59racb said:
If I had them by my house, they would be called.
"Get them the @#$% out of here spiders." :D

I'm with you on that one. had one in the car yesterday good job I was parked and just going to fill up when I noticed it, otherwise it could have been pretty nasty.

chrisy":1pcnkfdj said:
show steer up":1pcnkfdj said:
If I had them by my house, they would be called.
"Get them the @#$% out of here spiders." :D

I'm with you on that one. had one in the car yesterday good job I was parked and just going to fill up when I noticed it, otherwise it could have been pretty nasty.

:eek: Yuck!

Cinco_M_Gert":2p8fh2zv said:
We have those around our place too. I didn't go out to the place for about two weeks and I had to kill about 30 of them that size around the barn and another 20 by the pens. Nasty little creatures

I have a ginormous web on the back porch. I am letting her live there. She's entertaining.

Lammie":24xpuu4p said:
Cinco_M_Gert":24xpuu4p said:

I have a ginormous web on the back porch. I am letting her live there. She's entertaining.

... and she'll probably be happy to help you decorate for Halloween. :lol:

Yesterday, we were watching her wrap up her latest kill. She's getting old now, her thorax, or whatever, is starting to get real thick and shield-looking. That usually means they are getting close to the end. I don't think she'll be around for Halloween. Now, I did observe her with a teeny, tiny spider around here, I think it was the male? Like he was trying to do his business and the get the heck outa there. :shock:

chrisy":19e3813w said:
if that web was made by one spider I'm out of here....
mouse.gif
I hate spiders.
Spiders are beautiful and wonderful creatures.
And Chrisy is afraid of spiders. Must be because of some childhood trauma that had nothing to do with spiders but for some unknown reason she projects the symptoms of her wounded psyche onto spiders.

Nothing prettier than a spider web early in the morning with dew still on it reflectiing the sunlight.
Spiders are very hard working and their intelligence is demonstrated by the design and construction of the webs they build. Very fine workmanship.

Those webs do a fine job catching skeeters which carry disease.
Spiders and frogs make this world a better place. :clap:

I don't know why anyone would dislike spiders.

Ryder":27tpy7ln said:
chrisy":27tpy7ln said:
if that web was made by one spider I'm out of here....
mouse.gif
I hate spiders.
Spiders are beautiful and wonderful creatures.
And Chrisy is afraid of spiders. Must be because of some childhood trauma that had nothing to do with spiders but for some unknown reason she projects the symptoms of her wounded psyche onto spiders.

Nothing prettier than a spider web early in the morning with dew still on it reflectiing the sunlight.
Spiders are very hard working and their intelligence is demonstrated by the design and construction of the webs they build. Very fine workmanship.

Those webs do a fine job catching skeeters which carry disease.
Spiders and frogs make this world a better place. :clap:

I don't know why anyone would dislike spiders.

Most spiders are "friendly". However, I'll pass on the Black Widows, Brown Recluse, and Black fuzzy jumping spiders. Also, the Black Widow "web" has no design, is random "strings", and appears like the BW is too distracted to spin a quality web; or, they are a brain-damaged spider with one thing on their mind...BITE!

the reason I think I know why I dont like spiders, while watching a documentary on Dr Who last night it showed one of alien talking spiders taking over the world, and when I looked at the date, it was when I was very young, I was not allowed to watch the programme, but I must have caught a glimps of it as it was about that time the nightmares started, about giant spiders chasing me and my corgi around the house and me and Dandy jumping down the step of the kitchen and slamming the door which in turn chopped its legs off. I still go into a cold sweat when I see a spider. Chas my Husband does not like them either but he will get rid of them for me, as I hate the crunch sound when they are stamped on. just writing this I have goosebumbs.....Ryder I like the look of their webs I find them facinating as long as the occupant is very far away. Much like you with snakes, which I like.

Latest posts