Everyone Please Help

Help Support CattleToday:

AtoZ":ujn4o7nj said:
That's Ok kinda enjoyable. While I'm here i will update. She is still not leading unless she is the last one in the barn then she will lead to the wash rack or even load on the trailer if others are on there. She even walked in the chute so i gave her a handful of calf manna! We are making progress slowly but it is progress! Again the responce has been great and the help too.

as a quick not aswell, animals that are not dominant in the group will not like to lead the group. if i had an animals wasn't the boss of his mates, i'd pray id never get first in the ring. i think you need to take this guy away from the group and get someone with a piece of poly pipe behind her. poly pipe is light and most of its scareyness is in the sound it makes when it hits the butt of a cow.

Run a rope low around the back of her butt. An animals natural reaction is to move away from pressure. The halter is putting the pressur eon the front so they dig in or pull back. By shifting the pressure to the rear you will be encouraging them to move toward you rathe rthan away. Keep the halter on and hold the lead line, but dont put any pressure on it at first. As she gets used ot moving towards you to get awasy fronmt he rear pressure you can slowly shift to pressure from the halter until finally she will respond to front pressure without pulling back or digging in.

As someone else suggested, getting her to take a step sideways is still progress as long as the step is towards you. dont get into a tug of war with the animal as you will always loose.

When you get it halteed up and tied up. hold a piece of bread in front of her. or a donut she what happens. Also if that doesnt help when we had a really wild angus my father in law gave him whiskey, ( you can also you cattle calm) if that doesnt help dont risk showing it. not worth the injury. I never had a steer i couldnt break. keep trying to walk it, everyday for the next week. dont take a break the more you try maybe then the hereford will just feel defeated and give up and start walking

So far you advive has worked. She is now leading to the wash rack without being the last one in the barn, she will go into the chute and she has not kicked for a week!!! All of the advice about being calm, standing beside her, rewarding her and not giving up has worked!! I will know more after this weekend, it will be her first show. Thanks for all the help without your help we would have gave up!!

Latest posts