Ever heard of a meter fee ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I got electricity to my tiny house.
Last month was for a partial month and only 14.00
I was pretty pleased and stuff like this becomes competition for me.
I try to see how little I can get by on.
Eat cheap, shower on 2.5 gallons of water, buy nothing but essentials and etc.

I used 183kwh's and was happy.
I figured my bill at a maximum of .10 per kWh.
I get my bill and its 47.00
I called them and I'm being charged a 30.00 meter fee.

I looked at my past bills for my real home and I used almost 1500 kWh's but no meter fee.

Are they charging me a fee because I'm not using enough electricity ?

sounds like a poor people tax.

I don't actually know if there were additional fees for the ones I've used. We got one in when I was a kid because my Dad decided paying the house electricity wasn't his job.

I pay a 20 dollar meter fee but my well and hot fence doesn't pull enough to go over that so I don't complain ..

We have a minimum charge here. Could be considered a meter fee I guess. I had 4 meters 10 years ago (none went over the minimum). Had the opportunity to redo everything. I put a 400 amp service to my house, and went underground from there. I figure at some point, the savings will pay for the trenching, and wire.

Around here, the meter fee is how they recoup the cost of someone coming out to read the meter, or if it's a 'smart meter' it is a fee to recoup the cost of having software that does it.

greybeard":2qn0bg3h said:
Around here, the meter fee is how they recoup the cost of someone coming out to read the meter, or if it's a 'smart meter' it is a fee to recoup the cost of having software that does it.

You on SHECO?

greybeard":227t7j2r said:

Yep, here it's 29 and change and it came about when they installed the "smart" meters. Before that we just read them ourselves and they would check them once a year or so.

Bigfoot":3ed21xqe said:
We have a minimum charge here. Could be considered a meter fee I guess. I had 4 meters 10 years ago (none went over the minimum). Had the opportunity to redo everything. I put a 400 amp service to my house, and went underground from there. I figure at some point, the savings will pay for the trenching, and wire.
Our Coop is about $22.00 flat fee before any usage. I assume you are on Penyrile?

Caustic Burno":156uc42x said:
greybeard":156uc42x said:

You on SHECO?
entergy

tom4018":2h2v0jms said:
Bigfoot":2h2v0jms said:
Our Coop is about $22.00 flat fee before any usage. I assume you are on Penyrile?

Yes.

greybeard":buuzpv8u said:
Caustic Burno":buuzpv8u said:
greybeard":buuzpv8u said:

You on SHECO?
entergy
SHECO has a fee if the minimum isn't used

Caustic Burno":2e770k4g said:
greybeard":2e770k4g said:
Caustic Burno":2e770k4g said:
You on SHECO?
entergy

The places where I just had a well and didn't use the minimum I was just billed 15 or 20.00

First time I've been billed a meter charge plus usage that I'm aware of

Cross-7":ywr92wl5 said:
Caustic Burno":ywr92wl5 said:
greybeard":ywr92wl5 said:

The places where I just had a well and didn't use the minimum I was just billed 15 or 20.00

We have a meter fee of sorts. Its based on a minimum usage. If you don't use below the minimum you are charged a minimum fee. Effects wells mostly.

Jogeephus":3a82s21l said:
Cross-7":3a82s21l said:
Caustic Burno":3a82s21l said:

We have a meter fee of sorts. Its based on a minimum usage. If you don't use below the minimum you are charged a minimum fee. Effects wells mostly.

I'm good with that
I'll gladly pay the minimum
The 30.00 fee plus usage I'm not really pleased about
I used a 183 kWh and was charged 47.00
17.00 usage and 30.00 meter charge
I paid 4.00 a foot to bring the power in.
They didn't pay a dime of it.
But when your the only option.
You do as you please
Pay it or do without

We are on a rural electric coop here. The minimum monthly fee for just having a meter, if it's connected and you use any amount, is different for everybody. As I understand it, the monthly "meter" charge is based on how many meters per mile there are (or in our case, how many miles per meter). So, the coop is basically charging a meter fee based on average cost of maintenance per mile of their infrastructure; right-of-ways and the transmission. We are at the end of the line, so we pay more than those at the close end of the transmission apparatus. I have no problem with this. Anything other than this would be equality, which is a redistribution of wealth. I don't like paying a higher meter fee, but I chose to live in the boondocks and happy to pay for this "privileged surcharge".