ever had this happen?

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
By now, a good many members have chimed in about the charolais bull that i looked at. Well I just got two things in the mail from the breeder, who is L&L Charolais in Marksville, LA.

The first was a card thanking me for visiting his facility, hand signed.

The second was a three page sheet detailing the care that a young bull should receive for him to reach potential. I found both of these things a really nice gesture. The three page sheet was loaded with specific details on a young bull's care.

I don't think most people do business this way anymore. It's ashamed; this old timer really has his stuff together!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

The thank you is a neat thing, I usually just thank them when they leave the place and again when I drop the bull off at their place. Around here, some people would be offended if a seller handed out a sheet telling them how to take care of the animal. Although, some places I have delivered bulls to would probably benefit from it (at these places I usually tell the bull sorry when he gets off the trailer :( ).

cypressfarms":11fezp0r said:
By now, a good many members have chimed in about the charolais bull that i looked at. Well I just got two things in the mail from the breeder, who is L&L Charolais in Marksville, LA.

The first was a card thanking me for visiting his facility, hand signed.

The second was a three page sheet detailing the care that a young bull should receive for him to reach potential. I found both of these things a really nice gesture. The three page sheet was loaded with specific details on a young bull's care.

I don't think most people do business this way anymore. It's ashamed; this old timer really has his stuff together!

Anyone else have similar experiences?

The DVDs get me every time as long as it is from a smaller size operation. The larger operation DVDs, I toss in the trash can. All paper items, they get tossed also, unless it ia a sale brochure. If I contact 50 people by email for a purchase, I usually get one DVD and about 45 ignores. The 45 ignores are making too much money so when they try to contact me in the future, and they do, I toss their attitude in the trash can and never do business with them. So far, it has cost one company about $1/2 million gross revenue because they ignored me. One was an email and one was a phone call. I fired them and I didn't give them three chances. They send me emails all the time now. I delete them without reading because of their service.

Yes, some friends of mine do something similar, but it's usually for those that have purchased. Sometime's its just because they are nice, and sometimes it's just a selling technique. Sometimes it's both. If he's ever been in car sales, watch out. If he can change your emotional state, you may buy a bull from him even though you find a better bull from someone who doesn't seem to care one way or another. I'd say the breeder may be worth buying from, but I would only do it for a bull that was worth it, not just because he was nice.

your right that oldtimer is doing things the right way.showing that he wants an values you as a customer.i sold a reg breeder 2 reg heifers 18 months ago.an ive called him 2 or 3 times in the last 18 months checking them.i need to call an check on them again as they should be 6 to 8 months bred.

Sounds like this guy was very professional and he sure made a good impression on you. And the way he stood behind his bull, seems like his business practices are top notch (even if some on here didn't find his bull to be) That's worth something.

If someone puts a "contact us" link on their web site, or publishes an email address, but it never gets checked, that is very unprofessional. People who have email addresses but don't really "do" email would be better off to do away with their email address than to just ignore it and give such a bad impression.

Whether or not we would provide instructions for the care of an animal we sold would depend on the buyer. So far, everyone who has bought our cattle has come from a bigger operation and is more experienced than ourselves, so we would not presume to tell them what to do! But if they were a beginner, I would definitely try to steer them in the right direction and remain available after the sale if they should have questions or problems.

The flip side of that is the buyers who can't or won't send you a freakin' picture. I have asked every buyer for photo's of the animals as they matured, and their progeny, but have yet to receive one!

I routinely send out thank you letters for the visits and for purchasing my cattle. I keep in touch with my buyers as well periodically with phone calls, emails, or letters.

MO_cows":3vbkrk4f said:
Whether or not we would provide instructions for the care of an animal we sold would depend on the buyer. So far, everyone who has bought our cattle has come from a bigger operation and is more experienced than ourselves, so we would not presume to tell them what to do! But if they were a beginner, I would definitely try to steer them in the right direction and remain available after the sale if they should have questions or problems.

I didn't take his instructions as demeaning. He put in some articles that were xeroxed, so I assume that he does that with all customers. I just found it interesting that a seedstock guy would go so far out of his way to be helpful and courteous.

Yes I do the same thing, with all my sales I keep the new owners email address & do several follow ups through out the year just to find out how things are going or if there are any Q's they have. I also bundle up a copy of the animals registration, 4 generation pedigree, ect I have also put up on my website a page for handling long horned cattle (which came from Running Arrow Farms site) which I think is very useful for people who are not used to handling long horned cattle.

I think it's nice. Even if it's an experienced buyer what's the harm in sending a note saying what he's been eating or even sending some food with him so he can wean him onto his new food. It doesn't take that long to write a thank you note and it just goes to show someone actually cares about what they do and each animal they sell, instead of just getting rid of them and dusting their hands.

Just today we sold 3 dairy heifers & a weaned Jersey bull to a repeat customer she drive 4hrs to us for these calves we supplied all the information for rearing the calves + 2 bags of milk replacer so they can be slowly changed over to the brand of milk replacer she uses. She is very happy with the cow she first brought off us & so wanted another heifer to bottle raise & a future herd bull. Personally I like the follow up call/email to me it shows that the breeder isn't just after the money but cares for the stock they sell

Latest posts