Ethanol/ Nuclear

Help Support CattleToday:

My point is one is use for one purpose and the other used for another at this time. Who knows what is going to happen down the road certainly none of us in the near future.

Angus Guy":1hsbxt7h said:
My point is one is use for one purpose and the other used for another at this time. Who knows what is going to happen down the road certainly none of us in the near future.

Maybe so.... it doesn't seem that it was the spirit of the post.

I do know that someone had better find a solution to fossil fuel.

You may also qualify under Thomas Jefferson's statement.
Congrats.

Nuclear powered vehicles are not a new concept. The U.S. Navy has been using them with great success since 1953. Nuclear power in the hands of the average joe might become a problem, though.

I agree that nuclear power to generate electricity is the way to go. I sometimes wonder if those groups that are so resistant to it are encouraged by the oil companies and others that would be hurt financially by such a change. No doubt our politicians are. Unfortunately, money and power trumps common sense almost every time.

I have been working in the nuclear industry for 28 years. Been to many plants. There are newer technologies coming out and more efficient turbines too. Nukes are the way to go with more streamlined regulations.

The public is finally figuring out that granite buildings put out mega radiation doses, naturally. Fossil units put out huge radiation doses and they are not even regulated. If you live in a home with a concrete foundation, you are picking up mild rad dose.

That said, I am fascinated with solar, wind, and hydro power and would like to see more of it in the U.S.A. We need more nukes for baseline power.

As far as nuke vehicles, it would be feasible for trains and ships if not for the terrorists and regulations thereto.

The old wind turbine and battery storage technology used on farms years ago is coming back. The problem is we still don't have good battery technology.

Solar Technology is way up there. I have solar battery chargers for the Caterpillar, Backhoe, and Massey tractor. They are awesome.

I have inverters that can convert 12 volt battery power to 110 A.C. which we drive fans and ice cream makers on camp-outs and such. Inverters have gotten much more efficient and much lower in cost.

So. If deep cycle batteries could last 20 years, I'd buy 10 of them and put them in my barn. I could power them with solar chargers or wind chargers and get 110 or 220 power off of inverters.

IMHO American needs to invent reliable long lasting batteries and we need to build nukes wide scale.

Battery powered pick-up trucks and tractors is not a feasible route at this time nor is nuke powered semis. We are going to have to have petro which can come from coal gasification, propane etc. In addition to conventional diesel and gasoline.

I agree with backhoeboogie.....I think increasing our technology with batteries would open up a great many different options. I know they are better than they use to be.

There is that new sports car out that runs on batteries, if they put lots of money and effort into future development of Batteries I could see a Battery Car with its roof being solar panels and charging itself as we drive down the road.

Get our automobiles running on Solar, and Nuke power for our houses and we are good to go.

Get it to where all we need is Diesel for the big hauling.

I can't believe you guys are arguing for 2 pages about this stuff, when you are people who I assume, make your livings growing GRASS to feed your CATTLE. What is it that you need to grow GRASS? Can you say SUNLIGHT? I knew you could.

I believe I read recently Germany (a rather rainy place if I may say so) just went on line with the biggest solar plant in existence. I saw a lot of windmills when I was there a few years ago.

I live in Arizona. I can't believe we haven't mandated solar for all new building. Nope we just keep burning coal and running the aging nuke facility and wishing the lakes behind the dams aren't filling with sediment. What do we have like 355 days of sunshine? Crazy! :help:

Hippie Rancher":132oqjoc said:
I can't believe you guys are arguing for 2 pages about this stuff, when you are people who I assume, make your livings growing GRASS to feed your CATTLE. What is it that you need to grow GRASS? Can you say SUNLIGHT? I knew you could.

I believe I read recently Germany (a rather rainy place if I may say so) just went on line with the biggest solar plant in existence. I saw a lot of windmills when I was there a few years ago.

I live in Arizona. I can't believe we haven't mandated solar for all new building. Nope we just keep burning coal and running the aging nuke facility and wishing the lakes behind the dams aren't filling with sediment. What do we have like 355 days of sunshine? Crazy! :help:

I like all that also.

Hippie Rancher":2zco9wjk said:

Solar power interest me a bunch, like I said above we need better batteries for the sun to charge.

I am curious what the financial cost would be if houses went solar? What would it cost to replace the battery source you use for the sun to charge? Would it be like a hybrid car, you save on gas money but it cost more in the end due to other maintenance issues. Money is the biggest motivation factor there is.

When and if they can get the cost down on solar then the free market will take care of it. We do not need the government making us do anything!

I will be the first to add solar to my home once it is economically feasible.

I think I missed the posts that mentioned solar when I posted :oops:

I tend to agree on the govt. mandating stuff, but in this case, at least out here, if you don't force developers to do what is right they simply will always take the cheapest way. I think I mean to mandate to these guys, individual homeowner/builders are already doing some of this - better tax incentives seem to work fine for them.

Lots of ranchers off the grid out here - and starting to see some urban folks doing it and selling excess back to electirc co. This is all good in my opinion.

Hippie Rancher":3mwy3qbw said:
I think I missed the posts that mentioned solar when I posted :oops:

I tend to agree on the govt. mandating stuff, but in this case, at least out here, if you don't force developers to do what is right they simply will always take the cheapest way. I think I mean to mandate to these guys, individual homeowner/builders are already doing some of this - better tax incentives seem to work fine for them.

Lots of ranchers off the grid out here - and starting to see some urban folks doing it and selling excess back to electirc co. This is all good in my opinion.

I figure Solar powered homes is like my family owning a VCR, back in the late 70's when the Beta VCR's first came out I know they were way to expensive for my folks to buy one. I want to think the first ones were like $1,000.00 but maybe it just seemed that expensive to my parents.

Fast forward 30 years later VCR's are $39.99 at Wal-Mart. If the government would have said all homes or even all new homes have to have a VCR then we would still be paying $1,000.00 for them. Much like all the other crap the Gov puts their nose into.

But since RCA, Zenith etc... saw a market for VCR's the free market and entrepreneur spirit gave us cheap affordable VCR's.

I will wait for necessity or an entrepreneur to give me an affordable substitute to power my home with.

I think we will get there one day but I do not want the Gov speeding up the process by mandating it.

aplusmnt, When I turn on the water hose, the stagnant water in the hose is hotter than all get out. Solar hot water heaters are a good thing to, in addition to the cells.

If someone does invent really good deep cell batteries, we will be on our way. I'll buy 10 if they can last 20 years.

The car you spoke of would be good if batteries weren't so heavy. If you put 10 conventional batteries in a tiny car, you are adding a high percentage of its weight in cargo. So those new batteries need to be light.

backhoeboogie":2gns24bh said:
aplusmnt, When I turn on the water hose, the stagnant water in the hose is hotter than all get out. Solar hot water heaters are a good thing to, in addition to the cells.

If someone does invent really good deep cell batteries, we will be on our way. I'll buy 10 if they can last 20 years.

The car you spoke of would be good if batteries weren't so heavy. If you put 10 conventional batteries in a tiny car, you are adding a high percentage of its weight in cargo. So those new batteries need to be light.

Yea or the cars lighter, but that gets expensive and dangerous. Maybe 50-100 years from now either the batteries will be light enough or cars lighter and all the SUV's will be gone so we will not be so worried about driving our carbon fiber Camry and getting smashed by one of those 5,000 lb Suburbans

I think the technology is out there, just waiting for the market to demand it. Look at how much advancement computers, or cellphones have made in past years due to Consumer Demand.

Might sound stupid but maybe $4.00 or $5.00 per gallon of gas is what we need to get the ball rolling with developments of other energy sources. Once consumers demand another source someone will develop it.