Estate Taxes

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter":2g8g4rpi said:
I'm not for one minute saying that it isn't a good thing to be able to be rich.

Reminds me of one of Minnie Pearl's great lines: Honey, I've been rich and I've been poor, and believe me... rich is better!

BTW, I've yet to vote a straight ticket in my life either. That day might be coming but it hasn't happened yet.

Craig-TX

A semi auto deer rifle never killed anyone and we all know a hand gun is never used in an armed robbery or murder. It must be all those assault rifles that have no place in society. BUNK

J Baxter":139xuj6v said:
Guys don't get me wrong. I'm probably as conservative as anyone here.
JB, I hate to break this to you. But you being in favor of the Estate Tax makes you one of the least conservative people here. That's the same thing as being one of the most liberal. Redistribution of wealth or income is the liberal's lifeblood. And that's what you're advocating.

Texan":22cp0g7a said:
J Baxter":22cp0g7a said:
Redistribution of wealth or income is the liberal's lifeblood.
But only if it is someone elses' wealth,not theirs. There are a lot of Lexus Liberals who got the Lexus courtesy of Ronald Reagan and Company-oops,they don't like to talk about that-It was all good because of Slick Willie. Does anyone think they don't have good accountants to "assist" them at tax time. Naw,they probably just pay the whole amount cause it's the right thing to do.

The heirs of the very wealthy almost always either squander, lose, or otherwise diminish what they were left. From Rockefellers, Gettys, to Kennedys. The Fortune 400 or 1000 in this country is made up of self made men and women, with the exception of the Walton family but they JUST got their money. Give it a few generations and they will drop.

For all those who have land, and money put it in a "Dynasty" trust now so Big Brother does not steal it from your kids and redistribute it to the shiftless and lazy.

J Baxter":3q68cnbn said:
Guys don't get me wrong. I'm probably as conservative as anyone here. I've never voted for a Democrat in anything larger than a county election. I don't like this welfare system that we have set up in our tax code right now....dubbed the earned income credit. I own more guns that half the town. I think that our government is too large and steals from each and everyone of us in the 'middle' class.

JB

And it isn't stealing if your wealthy just when your middle class? Stealing is stealing not matter how much stuff or money the victim has.

Tod

J Baxter":3mqx2bmb said:
There are plenty of ways to manipulate the system as well.

JB

That is part of the problem. You should not have to manipulate the system. Loopholes are created for politicians, lawyers and crooks. Farmers who have all their Value tied up in equipment, land, and livestock may not have the capital to invest in crook to find the loopholes for him.

Tod

I agree the loopholes are the biggest part of the problem and guys if everything keeps on par at the current rate I very well may have to worry about estate taxes.

Texan, this is the only tax that I see reason with, I do not favor another single type of tax. I wouldn't say that I actually favor any tax, but this tax was enacted for a reason that if you understand its roots, you understand it has some merit. I am very conservative, but I also see reason here.

Txag, I do think that our children deserve things that we paid for with our sweat. I don't favor taxing the family farm or other small business for that matter. My point can be seen pretty clearly in this election. Did Teresa Heinz ever earn a penny? Somehow she has accumulated enough wealth to sway the political system. Do you really think that Kerry is the one pushing all this? If a man has the where with all to make it on his own, he is worthy of looking at for a leader.

I think that the threshold for the estate tax should be moved up to $20-50m and indexed every year.

By the way, I do respect each and every one of your opinions. I am always interested in what everyone believes. If my reasoning is faulty on an issue I am always willing to learn, but I will not always conform to the mainstream just because.

JB

I bet a lot more people will be affected by this stupid tax then you think. I know my family will pay big time because of it, and so will most people, rich or not.

Latest posts