Epd's

Help Support CattleToday:

CowpokeJ

Reaction score
Weaning; Charolais 38.8 = Angus 0
Yearling ; Charolais 53.1 = Angus 0

Mike, am I reading this wrong? So, what is the Charolais epd going to be when an Angus has a yw of 90?

CowpokeJ":1nd7of7f said:

Mike, am I reading this wrong? So, what is the Charolais epd going to be when an Angus has a yw of 90?

38.8 more than the Angus=128.8

If I am interpreting your question correctly.

MikeC":38shesh4 said:
CowpokeJ":38shesh4 said:

There are not many Charolais that have a yw of 128.8.

Let's look at my application. I have a commercial herd with Charolais bulls. I sell at ww. Looking at the Camp Cooley sale in November I see angus with ww of 40. So does that mean it's going to take a Charolais with a ww of 78.8 to match him? Selling the calf at 6 mo.

CowpokeJ":110obpax said:
MikeC":110obpax said:
CowpokeJ":110obpax said:

There are not many Charolais that have a yw of 128.8.

You must not understand the "Across Breed EPD Chart".

Read it carefully.

CowpokeJ":3f22t6gm said:
Let's look at my application. I have a commercial herd with Charolais bulls. I sell at ww. Looking at the Camp Cooley sale in November I see angus with ww of 40. So does that mean it's going to take a Charolais with a ww of 78.8 to match him? Selling the calf at 6 mo.

From Frankie's link it appears that you would add 38.8 to the WW EPD of the Charolais bull to reach the angus equivalent. In other words a Charolais with a WW epd of 1.2 is the same as an angus with a WW epd of 40.

gberry":4ftcj8w6 said:
CowpokeJ":4ftcj8w6 said:

From Frankie's link it appears that you would add 38.8 to the WW EPD of the Charolais bull to reach the angus equivalent. In other words a Charolais with a WW epd of 1.2 is the same as an angus with a WW epd of 40.
Comprende. I never have liked math.

You add the adjustments to the bull's actual EPDs.

So if you're using an Angus bull with average EPDs:

BW 2.3, WW 38, YW 71

And the average for Char:

BW 1.2, WW 21, YW 37

Since the adjustment for Angus is 0, the figures won't change.

But if you adjust, using the average EPDs on Chars, you get:

BW - 1.2 + 10 = 11.2
WW - 21 + 38 = 59
YW - 37 + 53 = 90

So, for nine more pounds of BW, you get 19 more pounds of YW. Weaning weight you get 21 more pounds if you use a Char bull with average EPDs compared to an Angus bull with average EPDs. Both breeds have bulls with better numbers than those.

PS - I messed this up once, please correct me someone if I'm wrong again. :)

Just got in from a total nightmare. Helper had a blowout on the flatbed trailer and lost it in the ditch. No harm done. Phew!

I had originally thought the Avg. BW epd for Chars was 1.7 but it is in fact 1.2. The 1.7 figure is the "Genetic Trend", whatever that is?

MikeC, glad to hear that all is well after the blowout. So would you agree that Frankies calculations from above are correct?? This stuff can confuse the @#$ out of a guy. Boone

boone":kuwmgb5k said:
MikeC, glad to hear that all is well after the blowout. So would you agree that Frankies calculations from above are correct?? This stuff can confuse the @#$ out of a guy. Boone

Thanks.

Yes. She is also correct that there are bulls of both breeds with EPD's well above and well below the averages stated here too.

There could be an enormous swing either way for both breeds.

I can't sell a bull with average WW EPD's.

boone":1kac1ovs said:
So would you agree that Frankies calculations from above are correct?? This stuff can confuse the @#$ out of a guy. Boone

MikeC":1kac1ovs said:
Yes. She is also correct that there are bulls of both breeds with EPD's well above and well below the averages stated here too.

I may bookmark this one. :p

Frankie":2o9p4h5k said:
boone":2o9p4h5k said:
So would you agree that Frankies calculations from above are correct?? This stuff can confuse the @#$ out of a guy. Boone

MikeC":2o9p4h5k said:

I may bookmark this one. :p

I strictly prohibit it. Because:

"The adjustment factors alone are not estimates of average breed differences"

And: "The table is based on "head to head" comparison of progeny of sires of those breeds at the U.S. Meat Animal Research Center (Marc)"

I already gave my opinion of this research and how the bulls were selected for the comparisons.

How do you feel about the more progressive breed associations combining EPDs and coming up with one set of them for all of the included breeds?

dun

dun":2dyfnbbj said:
How do you feel about the more progressive breed associations combining EPDs and coming up with one set of them for all of the included breeds?

dun

Don't know anything about it. But if it's done at the Univ. of Georgia by Keith Bertrand I would say it's on the up and up.

Tell us more.

Here's a starter link. Not sure what all breeds have signed on other then Red Angus, limo, I think Brangus Gelbvieh originally but I;m not sure they;re still onboard. The one I would like to see involved is Simmenthal.
http://redangus.org/multi-breed-nce/