English Setter Pup

Help Support CattleToday:

calfbuyer

Reaction score
We recently got our daughter an English Setter pup for her birthday. We already have a female Chocolate lab that is the best dog i have ever owned and is an excellent bird dog ( i love to dove hunt). There aren't many quail around here any more that the setter could point. I was wondering if i would have any luck training the setter to retrieve. I have already got her fetching toys in the yard. I thought if i let her hunt with my lab she may learn. I have noticed that she is a little hard headed. What do you think?

I have 2 English setters, and they are hard to teach to retrieve, they would much rather point. It's a good sign that it's already fetching in the yard, you got it started. Some will and some won't, and they will never retrieve like a lab.
But I must say they are great dogs for pets, and for training because they are very timid dogs and love people, and they don't eat as much as a lab will.
Good luck and post some pics cause I love looking at setters!

Thanks for the input, I'll try to get some picks of her. How do you get yours to stop hunting and mind? What i mean is if i turn her out in the field outside of the yard, she goes into hunt mode and WILL NOT stop or pay any attention to me. I physically have to chase her down and break her bird hunting trance.

calfbuyer":397w846r said:
Thanks for the input, I'll try to get some picks of her. How do you get yours to stop hunting and mind? What i mean is if i turn her out in the field outside of the yard, she goes into hunt mode and WILL NOT stop or pay any attention to me. I physically have to chase her down and break her bird hunting trance.
Until she learns to listen and mind, only let her out with a long checkcord on her

yea check cords and start training with a shock collar , but don't punished them to hard or they will become very timmed and won't come near you. Just take your time and slowly teach her to mind. Hunting and pointing is number one in a setters mind.

Latest posts