emergency, calves dead

Help Support CattleToday:

When I was a teenager I had a registered polled Hereford heifer. I sold her to make a down-payment on my first house. She had a super-baldie at side, and was bred back to a purebred polled Hereford bull from Boynton, OK.......can't remember the breeder's name......anyway, the people who bought her had horses in with their cattle. The calf that was born after I sold her grew into a fine big yearling bull, as big as his mama at a year old. They found him lying dead one morning in the same pen with the horse. Their best guess was that the horse kicked him, as he was healthy.

I agree with Craig shoot the horse.
Just please in the future stay current with ALL vaccines or you may end up with a Serious problem, that's what the vaccines are for to prevent that from happening.
bif

bubchub":zmobchpf said:
We figured out that it was our stupid, old Quarterhorse mare. We went out to the pasture the other day and heard a loud "thunk" and looked over to see the mare kick one right in the head. We got the old nag out of the pasture,put her in an electric fence, threw her a bale of hay and haven't had any more trouble, thank goodness. :)

I've never had my four wheeler kill a thousand dollars worth of calves. I still have my doubts that this is what killed the calves. Coccidiosus is a likely culprit. If your neighbor has to kill your calves to put them out of their misery then this might tell you something. When someone doesn't wean their calves until the cows dry up and do it themselves this also tells me that this is a sorry operation.

THE ONE":rmy6pp0p said:
bubchub":rmy6pp0p said:
We figured out that it was our stupid, old Quarterhorse mare. We went out to the pasture the other day and heard a loud "thunk" and looked over to see the mare kick one right in the head. We got the old nag out of the pasture,put her in an electric fence, threw her a bale of hay and haven't had any more trouble, thank goodness. :)

I've never had my four wheeler kill a thousand dollars worth of calves. I still have my doubts that this is what killed the calves. Coccidiosus is a likely culprit. If your neighbor has to kill your calves to put them out of their misery then this might tell you something. When someone doesn't wean their calves until the cows dry up and do it themselves this also tells me that this is a sorry operation.
You need to go back and re read all the posts. Have a nice day.

catl":2pkh2xhs said:
THE ONE":2pkh2xhs said:
bubchub":2pkh2xhs said:

I Did and Your point IS?

THE ONE":3looza3m said:
catl":3looza3m said:
THE ONE":3looza3m said:
bubchub":3looza3m said:

I Did and Your point IS?
Iunderstood him to say the neighbors were just taking potshots and killed them.I guess you are saying they just shot them to put them out of their misery.Sorry for the confusion.

Latest posts