embryo flush

Help Support CattleToday:

ROB

Reaction score
I'ts been a good day, thought i would share with the forum. got word today that my donor cow flushed 35 fertilized eggs. 29 were grade #1, 2 were grade #2 and 4 were degenerative. This was a first time flush on a 7 yr. old cow. Also the first donor i have ever had flushed.

ROB

That sounds like it turned out in your favor. What breed? Just being curious how much did it cost to set up, flush, and freeze or did you put them in fresh. It's about $50 an egg to put in plus set-up costs here. Oh yeah plus the eggs

Bet her ovaries were like grapefruit. She may end up with some cyst. If so cystorelin will take care of that. How much total FSH did you use? It would probably be a good idea to cut back on the FSH. What did your embryologist say?

That's pretty good. I think the most my vet's gotten (total good embryos) is 37. I've heard of more, like 47 or 50, but it's sure not the norm. :p

Sounds like you've got a very fertile cow there.

I commend you for waiting till the cow is older and has proven herself. Way to go!

We used Trans Ova. Took the cow (and her calf by side) over on Dec 22nd and left them there the entire time. Total cost for boarding, shots, AI and flushing was approx. $600. We did not have recepients available to transfer to so we will also pay $45/embryo for storage. The cost for storage will max out at 15 embryos (which is a very good thing). Embryo transfer will cost $20/cow + costs for shots we will give to recepients at home. Not sure on the quantity of FSH used. Breed of cow is Braunvieh.

ROB

Cowgirl- We will be using our angus cows as recips. We are in the process of replacing our entire angus base with braunvieh.

ROB

ROB":tggycxgf said:
Also the first donor i have ever had flushed.

ROB

dont ever expect anything that good again. in fact, dont expect anything half that good again.

and give your ET tech/vet a good tip.

My first cow flushed 15 grade 1 and the next time she flushed 5. I was told to let her be a cow and try her next year after a natural birth. So we will see. The more they flush the less they produce.

It will interesting to see how they stick. Sometimes with those big flushes the eggs don't stick good.

jason w-

Cow is out of Admiral x GLB 814 on the paternal side, and Marcus x GLB 616 on the maternal side. Flushed her to Risson 8917. Best of luck with your endeavor.

ROB

Aero-

with this flush i was expecting to get (6) grade 1 eggs. The next time i flush i hope to get (6) grade 1 eggs.

Iowahawkeyes-

thats interesting - i would assume that a grade 1 egg out of a flush of 6 eggs would be equal to a grade 1 egg out of a flush of 20 eggs. by the way, if i had used an angus bull for the flush would the grade 1 eggs graded CAB instead? :lol:

ROB

Latest posts