Embracer 8E

Help Support CattleToday:

Probably just the generic term that the AHA uses to label bulls that have been sold for slaughter. Very few AI bulls make it past 10 years. The best I have ever heard was about 14 years.

Aaron":3dghizqo said:
Probably just the generic term that the AHA uses to label bulls that have been sold for slaughter. Very few AI bulls make it past 10 years. The best I have ever heard was about 14 years.

Thanks for the input Aaron. I was under the impression that when they are too old to work they would use the term "Inactive". It just seems fishy to me that they would use the term "culled" unless there was something wrong with him, especially since he has sired lot's of good bulls that are used AI and otherwise today.

I'm not sure how AHA determines what status to place an animal in. I know that you see inactive, deceased and culled. Culled to me indicates a decision to send the animal to slaughter. I can't imagine any circumstances other than injury or a bad foot or leg that would cause him to be listed as culled. If anything fishy was going on, you'd just say he died.
Until you mentioned it, I'd not looked at his pedigree since I heard that he had died.

jkwilson":33bu1fi5 said:
Culled to me indicates a decision to send the animal to slaughter. I can't imagine any circumstances other than injury or a bad foot or leg that would cause him to be listed as culled. If anything fishy was going on, you'd just say he died.

This is what I meant what I said "fishy". Meaning was there an injury, did he go sterile? Just curious as to what happened to him. Depending on what happened to him, I would think it could affect semen sales, depending on if it was a freak accident or longevity problems.

AS A MEMBER OF THE AHA, MY PAPERS FOR TPR RECORDS HAVE DISPOSAL CODES,CULLED COULD BE ANYTHING FROM,INFERTILE TO OLD AGE WHAT IS THE CODE OR IS THERE ONE LISTED?

Click on the site link I posted in the first post. I can't find any codes, just the word "culled". Maybe I'm not looking in the right spot.

I know that a lot of AI bulls break their legs or pull their stifles when they are old and still working at the stud or ranch.