Elk and Buffalo Stores?

Help Support CattleToday:

Brahma Bull

Reaction score
Anyone know any stores selling fresh elk,buffalo,deer or antalope?Got to do a road trip in Jan. from Texas to Fort Collins Co.I see a lot advertised on the internet.Sure beats eating chicken.

Illegal here for wild game. you may give it, but not sell. I don't know about Colorado. Bison isn't beef, but some like it. Some states won't allow you to cross state lines with it.

Brahma Bull":3vmlwdeh said:
Anyone know any stores selling fresh elk,buffalo,deer or antalope?Got to do a road trip in Jan. from Texas to Fort Collins Co.I see a lot advertised on the internet.Sure beats eating chicken.

Maybe some of the online stores will also sell to walk ins?

There is a restaurant (or was in late 80's) in Morrison, CO. (West edge of Denver) called "The Fort". They served a variety of exotic meats. Was quite a landmark place. Think way back when the site was an actual Fort. They're probably still there as they did a large business.

There's a company in Colo called House of Smoke. They probably have a website.

They sell all kinds of wild game. I'd offer you some but we didn't have a great year. One bull elk and one little buck for 3 families to share. I still have a private land cow license to fill, It would help a lot if we could get some SNOW.

Keren":15sddzlp said:
Ever tried Emu? Yum. Roo is also good. And rabbit. And crocodile. Camel not so much.
Yep Keren,last time I was in Darwin at a night market I tried BBQ(Satay) Emu,Roo and Croc,didn't see any Camel.It was really tasty.
Thanks guys for all your input.It will most likely be a sleet and snow the day I drive across Colorado.Did it twice on me 2nd week of June 2004.

Brahma Bull":2ry2e0ka said:

I also forgot to tell you, you won't get any of these meats fresh. You also might want to avoid the farm raised elk and buy New Zealand Stag(no wasting disease). The other two meats you mention are both available only with a colo hunting license and you have to kill them yourself. I have never heard of anyone farming Mule deer or antelope, and I have been in the food biz in colo for 25yrs. If you see someting listed as venison it's most likely stag.

We ate in a restaurant in either Colby or Oakley, Kansas a few years back that served bison meat, east of Colorado springs. Wife and I both got steaks, I've had hot dogs with more flavor.

cfpinz

Latest posts